Tablet installation build thread...(Brainiac)

SmoggyPauly

OK, not really done anything like this before but thought I'd document my build here in case anyone else is interested (and also to get help as I go along!).
So I'm going to mount a Galaxy Tab 4 tablet (10.1") in my 350z in place of the head unit & sat nav. I'm using the plastics from Workshop 12 that are available now to order.

Although I know a little electrics, I'm fairly new to in car audio installation etc, having only wired in a new head unit in the past. However, on their web site, Workshop 12 are slowly adding more tutorials etc so will plough on! They are also working on a comprehensive app for android (Brainiac), but as that's not finished yet, I'll be looking for other alternatives and tricks as the hardware buttons for home, back, volume etc will not be accessible. This will all be resolved in the app though - there's details of it here:
https://workshoptwelve.com/brainiac-solution/

There's also a bit of history there about how it all came about. I wont go into detail but they were going to release a full unit with screen etc but couldn't get funding.

Anyway, back to the build...

First of all, I bought a spare head unit/gauges bezel. not totally necessary but allows me to leave me car intact whilst im working on it...

Photo01.jpg.ec9cfd149441dc30779596388ec2c84e.jpg

Then last week, the plastics to mount the tablet arrived. These are 3d prints, pretty good quality but rough surfaced so need preparing. At the same time, I bought a number of connectors etc that will be needed to connect the audio etc. These consisted of:
 - 12v to 5v converter
 - On-the-go USB cable 
 - 3.5mm to RCA audio cable
 - Ground loop isolator (to negate any interference that might occur - might not be necessary)
 - 350z specific audio wiring harness

Not sure I have everything I need yet but thats a start. I have an old amplifier in my garage that I'm going to try and use too, although there may be an option to use the standard amp, not sure yet...

Photo02.jpg.80cc73e9306985c1a77e38ff71962da8.jpg

So, first task was to prepare the head unit/gauges bezel. This required the cross piece cutting out...a really complicated task involving a hacksaw and 20 seconds of hard work. Once done, I check fitted the tablet bezel...perfect...

Photo03.jpg.c810cbcc4eba2a344399dc3993a9dc03.jpgPhoto04.jpg.06496c4c1474f2c43a649cc065e8ac34.jpg

Next, I had to prep the plastic mounts and surround. As I said, they're plastic printed so rough to the touch. I started by using hi-build primer and then wet n dry to smooth it off...

Photo05.jpg.0e7556586fc7bcc0f922bbd8d0dfd861.jpgPhoto06.jpg.d76b4244d6019f4c2e7e6ad4e1aea85a.jpg

Top coat next, followed by clear laquer. I've gone for a basic silver for now. It should look fine but once I'm all done, I may get it wrapped or dipped, we'll see..

Photo07.jpg.e58d2a9609044684c521454bbf4e5db8.jpg

I'm no paint spraying expert but it's turned out fine. This is it all mounted in the dash bezel with the tablet in place. Quite excited about how it's all going to look.

Photo08.jpg.b5aae36170402055aea1f055509ffa1e.jpg

I'll do a quick post about the software and apps I'm thinking of using next and the workarounds for hardware buttons etc in case anyone is interested.

Any advice anyone has, I'd appreciate. Also, my spare time on this is limited so might take me a while to get complete so apologies if this takes a while!

Edited by SmoggyPauly
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, andybp said:

Sorry for asking a dumb question I just clicked on the link that's a lot of money for a couple of bits of plastic.

:)

It is, but a lot of research went into the design and the guys are trying to raise money to add more & more cars. It is what it is I guess - its their design so they can charge what they like and it's worth what people are willing to pay.
You could design your own in a 3d package I guess and get it 3d printed...I don't have the skills to do that so was willing to pay for others to do it for me... :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2017 at 10:10, Stu_Z said:

I've contacted Shapeways to find out, as I wonder if it will fit my 07. 

Hopefully they will get back to me!

Shapeways are just the 3d printing service - better to contact Workshop 12. I believe they are designed for all 02 - 06 and they are currently working on facelift 06 - 09. Latest posts on their Facebook page explain more.
I've now fitted mine in place to will post an update shortly.

Edited by SmoggyPauly

WorkshopTwelve responded to my query, but I kind of came to my own conclusion it SHOULD fit, after measuring up my own console and comparing it to a pre-facelift;

'Hi Stuart,
Take a look in our 06-09 photo album on Facebook. I was able to fit the plastics into the upper "waterfall" of the 06-09 dashboard. What I wasn't able to test out is how the shifter trim will slide up under the bottom of the plastics. It looks like it will fit, but I haven't been able to confirm it. I don't have a 06-09 shifter trim handy to try and do the fitting.. I've been trying to find someone local with a car to test if it will slide up under.
Tim'

I'm just not sure I like it THAT much to commit trying it. Just bought a 'Joying' double-din Android unit. I'll see how this goes first..

I think I will leave it as well. I don't want to buy it and find it won't fit, as I would then need to sell it and probably at a loss.

Shame really as I am in the process of fitting an uplift interior into my 2003. A nice retrim is already into making with Si at Hide n Seats. The tablet would have gone nice with the dipped console.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/08/2017 at 23:44, SmoggyPauly said:

OK, not really done anything like this before but thought I'd document my build here in case anyone else is interested (and also to get help as I go along!).
So I'm going to mount a Galaxy Tab 4 tablet (10.1") in my 350z in place of the head unit & sat nav. I'm using the plastics from Workshop 12 that are available now to order.

Although I know a little electrics, I'm fairly new to in car audio installation etc, having only wired in a new head unit in the past. However, on their web site, Workshop 12 are slowly adding more tutorials etc so will plough on! They are also working on a comprehensive app for android (Brainiac), but as that's not finished yet, I'll be looking for other alternatives and tricks as the hardware buttons for home, back, volume etc will not be accessible. This will all be resolved in the app though - there's details of it here:
https://workshoptwelve.com/brainiac-solution/

There's also a bit of history there about how it all came about. I wont go into detail but they were going to release a full unit with screen etc but couldn't get funding.

Anyway, back to the build...

First of all, I bought a spare head unit/gauges bezel. not totally necessary but allows me to leave me car intact whilst im working on it...

Photo01.jpg.ec9cfd149441dc30779596388ec2c84e.jpg

Then last week, the plastics to mount the tablet arrived. These are 3d prints, pretty good quality but rough surfaced so need preparing. At the same time, I bought a number of connectors etc that will be needed to connect the audio etc. These consisted of:
 - 12v to 5v converter
 - On-the-go USB cable 
 - 3.5mm to RCA audio cable
 - Ground loop isolator (to negate any interference that might occur - might not be necessary)
 - 350z specific audio wiring harness

Not sure I have everything I need yet but thats a start. I have an old amplifier in my garage that I'm going to try and use too, although there may be an option to use the standard amp, not sure yet...

Photo02.jpg.80cc73e9306985c1a77e38ff71962da8.jpg

So, first task was to prepare the head unit/gauges bezel. This required the cross piece cutting out...a really complicated task involving a hacksaw and 20 seconds of hard work. Once done, I check fitted the tablet bezel...perfect...

Photo03.jpg.c810cbcc4eba2a344399dc3993a9dc03.jpgPhoto04.jpg.06496c4c1474f2c43a649cc065e8ac34.jpg

Next, I had to prep the plastic mounts and surround. As I said, they're plastic printed so rough to the touch. I started by using hi-build primer and then wet n dry to smooth it off...

Photo05.jpg.0e7556586fc7bcc0f922bbd8d0dfd861.jpgPhoto06.jpg.d76b4244d6019f4c2e7e6ad4e1aea85a.jpg

Top coat next, followed by clear laquer. I've gone for a basic silver for now. It should look fine but once I'm all done, I may get it wrapped or dipped, we'll see..

Photo07.jpg.e58d2a9609044684c521454bbf4e5db8.jpg

I'm no paint spraying expert but it's turned out fine. This is it all mounted in the dash bezel with the tablet in place. Quite excited about how it's all going to look.

Photo08.jpg.b5aae36170402055aea1f055509ffa1e.jpg

I'll do a quick post about the software and apps I'm thinking of using next and the workarounds for hardware buttons etc in case anyone is interested.

Any advice anyone has, I'd appreciate. Also, my spare time on this is limited so might take me a while to get complete so apologies if this takes a while!

How you getting on with the install? any updates?

Ive ordered the same facia...got everything waiting for me to just get stuck into it all.

• Like 1

Sorry, have been meaning to post an update for a couple of weeks now..! It's all installed in place, although I changed my plans slightly regarding wiring in the speakers etc.

Original plan was to use the existing harness to connect to the standard amps etc. However, behind the dash had been messed with by a previous owner and wasn't standard so as I had a spare amp in the garage, thought I'd install that from scratch and run new cables in....
Currently, I've got the amp in, wired into the tablet but only the two rear speakers currently working. I intend to add a small amp for the sub and then get the door speakers working too. Got a lot on over the next few weeks so probably will be a month or two yet.

20170910_162310.jpg

20170910_154846.jpg

20170905_194245.jpg

Getting the 'user experience' right has been a challenge. Without hardware button, things like volume control are a challenge. I've tried a few apps to get this right and it's just about as good as it can be. An app from Workshop 12 should solve all the niggles I have though...
I've used the following apps to get things pretty good though...
Poweramp

CoPilot

Waze
AutoMate - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate 
A useful launcher that has settings to stop the screen dimming etc whilst charging etc...LOADS of settings...
Back Button (No Root) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appspot.app58us.backkey
This gives you a floating navigation bar - very useful
Volume in Notification - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.njsoftware.volumechanger
This gives you a volume control in the drop down notification panel

Like I say, the Workshop 12 app should make the experience even better.

I've not done anything regarding having an FM radio as I rarely listen to it anyway...could be another challenge!

Good luck :thumbs: