Slider corrosion.

mr v6

My previous 2 cars have had 4 pot Brembo's on the front & both have suffered from this. The calipers are aluminium & the sliders in which the pads move along are stainless steel. Corrosion builds up under the sliders & in time they lift slightly, effectively reducing the gap in which the new pads fit.

Yesterday I set out to replace the front pads. Gladly all pistons & boots were moving freely, old pads were Delphi, not sure who makes the grooved discs though. I started out with a set of Ferodo pads, the inner pads on both calipers needed tapping in. Took it for a drive & this caused the Z to drag & slow down quickly by itself. As I had no file or grinder I had to use the old inner pad for the n/s/f. Today I removed that pad & the inner pad on the o/s/f (which wasn't as bad) & took a grinder to the edge to get it to fit.

The only remedy I've had experience on with Brembos is to remove the caliper, split it in half to remove the little button torx screws, take the stainless slider off & clean up the corrosion underneath. I have a spare caliper from my old car at home that I'm in the process of refurbing with new seals, paint job & decals.

I did a search but couldn't find anything about this on here using the word 'corrosion' in the search engine. There's a guide & extra info on club I run here: http://www.406coupeclub.org/Files/HowToGuides/Brakes - Refurbish stainless steel slider plates on Brembo callipers.pdf