Clicking noise when turning

m4nn13

Evening all,

I noticed a few weeks ago when slowly moving on full lock there's a clicking noise coming from the front of the car. I only do this manuver when reversing onto the drive so as its not done that oftern i thought I'd wait and get it checked by my local garage when I have some free time. This week however I've noticed it does it when doing any sharp turns at low speeds (for example a T junction turn). I did fit some spacers about 2 months back so im not sure if this will have somethibg to do with it (like need tightening or something) or if its the C.V joint / ball thing / banana peel or one of the other many things that click and knock according to the search option but if anyone else has experienced similar and can shed some light it would help!

Edited by m4nn13

• 2 weeks later...

It's unlikely without a decent sound bite that anyone could diagnose your issue. If it's on lock the first thing I would do is check for any contact points between the tyre and trim in the arch. Then I would check the bearing on the affected side for play or grinding, also check the caliper is free of foreign bodies etc. 

Does it sound like component contact or something mechanical? Is it rythmic e.g. faster or slower with road speed or constant?

Is there a foreign body in the tyre, screw etc?

Had it up to a garage to have a look at lunch today and they can't work out what it is either! They jacked it up and wobbled the wheel incase it was loose but its nice and tight, span it slowly by hand while i turned the steering wheel, nothing, as soon as it was on the floor and rolling slowly again there it was, tick tick tick! It does get quicker as the wheel spins but you only really notice it at lower speeds so going round a large roundabout at 25mph you won't hear anything but a small white blob roundabout at 5mph you will. It sounds like when you used to put playing cards in your spokes on a bike as a kid! Had a look.all.over the wheels and nothing in there like a nail or anything, the garage said there was plenty of Clearence between the wheel and the arches at. Really weird! I'll try and get a video tomorrow if I can and post it up.

Right, I've managed to get a video of the bugger! (See original post) Typically as soon as i started filming in a nice empty factory carpark it stops then starts again as I got home :rant: im sure the neighbours loved me growling up and down the drive 3 or 4 times :lol: so yea, any more thoughts on what it is? Might well be a bearing as advised above.

Edited by m4nn13

I had this the other month, and coincidently it started after I fitted spacers. It was from the drivers side front and only when going very slowly at near full lock.

I took the wheel off and inspected everything. Even took photos and then compared against the passenger side..and found nothing!

After putting the wheels back on that same day I've not heard it again. The only thing which looked slightly out of place was my HEL brake line virtually touched the shock absorber at full lock so I carefully moved it away.

Sorry, I know this doesn't really help..

I should add that I've since had an MOT and it passed without issue.

Edited by zelda
  • Thanks 1

Right, had it up the garage and had the wheel off. Have wobbled, nudge, prodded, spun and wiggled everything to see what the noise it, nothing. Everything is working exactly as it should be! Retorqued spacers and put the wheel back on, and the clicking has gone! 

Might be one of the wheel bolts was slightly loose or something but seems to have done the trick for now! :D

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Have you checked the steering rack/tie rods? I have a single click at full lock at slow speeds and am convinced its something to do with the steering rack/tie rods... I've changed almost everything else on the front in the last year bar the arb but i don't think it's that....