First MOT failure in 14yrs

Dicky

Apparently the offside rear suspension component "Front Lower Link" item 22 in attached diagram is apparently "severely bent"  The attached diagram seems to indicate that its supposed to be bent.

Can anyone confirm if it does have a bend in it and if any of the forum traders can supply one?

image.png

That to me is the camber arm. I have eibach adj arms and they are straight although the oem ones and many others  do have a slight bend in as the guys say. If it is severly bent your camber and toe may well be way out as well. Just compare it to the other side. 

• Like 1

The near side rear does have a slight bend in it while the offside (fail side) one appears to be bent more. Can't think how it can have happened other than careless garage mechanics because I know I would never jack the car up there.

Given the bar is quite thick (poss 15mm dia or so) I can't imagine I could have ran over anything either without hearing it. Must have been a mentally challenged mechanic then?

Tryed a breaker bar on the badly rusted bolts but chickened out when it wouldn't give , so will let the garage have this one to do me thinks!

Does Tarmac/ other supply these ?

Lots of traders on here will have new oem or aftermarket options. Tarmac sports, cougar store, clark motorsport, torqen etc.. If you are planning on lowering in the future you may as well get adjustable arms, if not then standard is fine. Zmanalex will prob have new or used available so plenty of options. 

• Like 2

Firstly congratulations on a 14 year pass run!! Definitely seen this arm on my z with a 'kink' to it. Its been on the to replace list for a while, from memory they were £45 approx, might be worth getting one even if its just to see if they have the same kink angle. 

Edited by nipwahh
  • Like 1

Anyone have a photo of this part because the stealers wants £143 for it, none of them have it in stock and if bought it can't be returned and I don't know if the bend in mine is as it should be or distorted??

a photo would really help

Buggar just booked the car in Alex to have it done. Attempted to loosen the securing bolts with my breaker bar but not much space under the ramps. The bolts are well rusted and frightened I might round the nut so thought I'd take the hit and have it done. To old to be crawling under cars these days especially on potentialy nightmare jobs.

couple of pics below, the offending off side link and the near side link

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Dicky

It's bent the wrong way which would be the first indication to me that it is FUBAR. :D 

Could of been worse though Dicky and as mentioned by Alex you should definitely get 4 wheel alignment/tracking done after the new part is fitted. 

Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

Definitely bent, replacement arm and a geometry 4 wheel adjustment and all will be good.

Car must have been handling like a dog:

As it happens the car seems to drive fine Alex, unless I've just got used to it. I recall getting an advisory on this some years ago, around 5 yr I think and when I looked at the workshop manual and saw that its drawn bent I just assumed it was right, apparently not.

Wheel alignment & tracking WOW, I'm a pensioner now you know!! Suppose I can't  complain though the only other non rust related expense I've had in all this time was to replace a coil pack. It's been a bloody good car and I still love it an want to have its babies ha ha

• Like 1