Motordyne exhaust seal of approval

Nismonkey

Finally, the Motordyne exhaust I ordered arrived and has been fitted and I just had to post to say how impressed I am with the quality and sound of the exhaust.  The fitters and I were drooling over the welds etc, even taking pictures of it looking all shiny before it went on.  Not sure about the blued tips though as I had originally opted for the straight cut rolled steel tips, but that is another story.

I went for the cat back Motordyne Shockwave system on a MkII Nismo and the sound is gorgeous, a low burbling on tick over, civilised and not hugely different to the standard exhaust when cruising and then a fantastic growl rising to a wail under load.  The standard Nismo exhaust is good quality (and if anyone would like it cheap do let me know) but there is no comparison when it comes to the sound.  

On the very first day of fitting I received the formal seal of approval as one of Cambridge's notoriously opinionated, fascist cyclists waved their fist at me as I went past....and that was at 20mph, oh and the kettle was on before I had driven in to the drive - win and win!

The exhaust seems to have had a disastrous effect on the fuel economy though as I cannot resist accelerating harder just to hear the noise and seem to be driving everywhere in a gear lower than previously.  I know everyone says this, but it really does transform the nature of the car, even my wife approved, although I then ruined the mood by informing her that this was indeed a keeper of a car, to which she just disparagingly raised her eyebrows.  To be fair she has heard that proclaimed numerous times before........but this time I think I mean it!

Remember what they say, Loud pipes save lives!

• Like 1

Had mine now some 4 years, fantastic exhaust, I'd probably say the best there is for the Zed.  I couldn't agree more on using lower gears, and the sound is just the nuts!  

I guess you won't be going Electric just yet then :lol:

I will not be going electric any time soon, those Prius are lethal, you walk along the street minding your own business and then you sense a presence behind you, the number of times I have turned round to find a Prius taxi creeping up behind me, most disconcerting.

No, loud pipes are the perfect road safety tool for galvanising sheep like pedestrians in to action, or if one is in the country, alerting muntjacs to your presence.  Imagine driving everywhere in an electric car, you would need bull-bars like those on an Australian road train truck to avoid your radiator being littered with limbs and road kill.

I have to say though that video of the stripped out Tesla out-dragging American muscle cars is eerily impressive.  Anyway the Nissan is positively civilised compared to a Caterham I had as a daily driver, its side exit exhaust would set off the alarms of cars parked at the side of the road, which was really impressive, and you don't even burn yourself.......blimey, I have gone soft!