Rain sensor not working and no intermittent wipe

richyrich

I know this has been raised before. I don't think mine has worked since I had the windscreen replaced.

Has anybody found success in fixing it?

When I fiddle about with the inside cover it seems to work now and again which suggests to me that maybe the sensor isn't plugged in correctly, but how do you get that cover off completely without breaking it?

It drives me mad when driving around in light drizzle

rich

Edited by richyrich
Posted in wrong section - sorry

Hi Ekona, it was replaced ages ago. I don't use the car very often (6 yrs old and only 21052 miles on the clock) so never bothered with it.

If I can just get the plastic cover off without damaging it I'm sure I can fix it, it works when I'm fiddling around trying to get the cover off.

rich

Ok - I got the cover off, just pull the header trim out a bit, - got the sensor out - clips on the side.

opened it up to look at electronics (just unclips) , and found no solder around 2 of the pins from the socket (maybe soldered on the other side methinks but it don't work anyway) so I soldered 2 that looked as though they should be soldered and guess what ----- still don't work!!!

I need a working one to try - I'm betting it's an arm and a leg to buy one.

it may even be a broken/dodgy wire in the loom.

any ideas where to get one anyway apart from Nissan?

rich

Got a new one on order for 20 pounds. Let you know how I get on.

I personally think that as my car sits in the sunshine all the while (I know I know) that the electronics get cooked and deteriate  after a while.

rich

• 1 month later...

At last I've managed to find the problem and tested it in light drizzle and light rain.

The sensor needs to be stuck up against the glass.

I bought a lens from eBay that has a sticky type of substance on it, fitted that to the sensor and now it works - even the sensitivity control works.

Rich