350z Exhaust System Flame

Jake.Lowther

Just finished installing my exhaust system, didn't expect it to flame but as I did a fly by one of my mates he noticed it flamed, so I installed a camera took it to a rural quite part of the A1 and unleashed hell off the rev limiter and this is what the camera captured.

1 hour ago, veeg33 said:

What system do you have? Rrrrrrrr!!! B) Did you have pop and bang mapped on it?

Hasn't been mapped (Yet) I have as follows.

Berk Decats

Japspeed Y Pipe

Cobra non resonated mid pipe

Cobra Sports Backbox.

Just with the above she pops flames out of the box :D

Here's a still from the video

FFhRe2D.png

Edited by Jake.Lowther
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeyM said:

Would a map of pops and bangs actually give you flames ?

Nice set up on that Zed and those flames look awesome. 

What revs were you at to make it flame buddy ?

It possibly would, if you asked the technician to map it so it dumps a little extra fuel on the overrun it 100% would. But that just bad practice and cheating :p 

Mine makes small blue flames every now and then when giving it some welly and shifting at about 5/6k rpm. But to make those kinda flames that you see in the video you have to rev it to the red line or just before.

2 minutes ago, Jake.Lowther said:

It possibly would, if you asked the technician to map it so it dumps a little extra fuel on the overrun it 100% would. But that just bad practice and cheating :p 

Mine makes small blue flames every now and then when giving it some welly and shifting at about 5/6k rpm. But to make those kinda flames that you see in the video you have to rev it to the red line or just before.

Well, that's me stuffed for a start.. currently can't go beyond 5k revs or I risk detonation due to using 95 Ron:-( 

I need to get it mapped for both fuels, pops n bangs and a CHEAT me things lol

• Like 1

Well, that's me stuffed for a start.. currently can't go beyond 5k revs or I risk detonation due to using 95 Ron:-( 

I need to get it mapped for both fuels, pops n bangs and a CHEAT me things lol

I use Tesco Momentum 99 or Shells Nitro.

Do they not supply decent fuel around you or are you just cheaping out on a few pence :p

Also with decats and a good high flowing exhaust system you should end up with flames like me.

I live on Skye and it's a 1 hour round trip to the ONLY garage that has super unleaded .. drives me mad !

I have a full decay set up and it does already pop a little every now and then.. but... Island is full of tourists and I crave the joy of a bbq on their front bumpers as I overtake...a lot lol

3 minutes ago, MikeyM said:

I live on Skye and it's a 1 hour round trip to the ONLY garage that has super unleaded .. drives me mad !

I have a full decay set up and it does already pop a little every now and then.. but... Island is full of tourists and I crave the joy of a bbq on their front bumpers as I overtake...a lot lol

Haha okay your best bet is a remap then, I'm sure if you tell the Tech you want foot long flames they might advise against it but they'll do it. The only other mod you could do which I've just ordered it to install a WOT box, you can set these up in a number of ways I.E. it can cut ignition and fuel or in your case you can just cut ignition and let the fuel flow into the exhaust manifold I'm sure that'd get a few flames going. :thumbs:

WOT Box would be the cheaper option of the latter but can be fairly difficult to install.

Edited by Jake.Lowther

3 minutes ago, Jake.Lowther said:

Haha okay your best bet is a remap then, I'm sure if you tell the Tech you want foot long flames they might advise against it but they'll do it. The only other mod you could do which I've just ordered it to install a WOT box, you can set these up in a number of ways I.E. it can cut ignition and fuel or in your case you can just cut ignition and let the fuel flow into the exhaust manifold I'm sure that'd get a few flames going. :thumbs:

WOT Box would be the cheaper option of the latter but can be fairly difficult to install.

I've heard of these WOT boxes  it seem to have mixed reviews with some people saying they cause damage eta and I've never seen them for sale ?

I've heard of these WOT boxes  it seem to have mixed reviews with some people saying they cause damage eta and I've never seen them for sale ?

http://www.psituning.com/product.php/14468/wot_box_launch_control

This works in the Zeds, I too was skeptical because of some horror stories online. But there's a few people on the forums who've had them for a year+ and they've never had issues. If you set it up correctly and follow all the instructions you won't have an issue. Even just spark cutting and letting the fuel flush through the cylinder in theory won't cause any damage.

On 08/08/2017 at 12:04, MikeyM said:

Would a map of pops and bangs actually give you flames ?

Nice set up on that Zed and those flames look awesome. 

What revs were you at to make it flame buddy ?

I'm fairly sure mine doesn't flame at all (pops and bangs always active). That's with ARK GRiP catback and Motordyne ART test pipes. Would this many resonators make flames less likely?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ASemper said:

I'm fairly sure mine doesn't flame at all (pops and bangs always active). That's with ARK GRiP catback and Motordyne ART test pipes. Would this many resonators make flames less likely?

Restrictions in the exhaust will make it harder for your car to flame. It's a long way to travel form the manifolds to the tips.