New clutch issues

leebottrill

Hi guys I had my new clutch fitted today and I've got a couple of small problems. Firstly my car is idling very low to the point where when I start it up it will idle so low it will stall. My mechanic has been looking around and seems to think that the car would relearn the correct idle amount. Has anybody had this problem when fitting a new clutch? I've fitted the Xtreme clutch kit. Mechanic did a smoke test to check for any leaks in the air system and there were none. Any help would be much appreciated.

I know it sounds dumb but im only saying because i was doing it myself. Are you giving the fuel pump a second or two to prime? When i first got my Zed i was turning all the way to ignition right away and wasnt entirely sure why my engine was really struggling to startup. Doesnt seem to matter as much in small displacement cars but my Zed utterly hated it. Sorry if its a dumb suggestion xD

Yeah so when i first got the car i was jumping straight to ignition so the 3rd click. Found out you are supposed to sit on the 2nd click for a second to get power to the pump, pump gets up to pressure then you can start the car. Ive had no issues starting since I started doing that, it used to struggle a lot when i started it right away im assuming because it was essentially running low pressure for a second and the air fuel mix was wrong. Im not a mechanic though so I could be entirely wrong. 

Although another entirely random idea could it be the sensor that detects if the clutch is depressed? Since it needs to be down to start the car?

I would imagine the symptoms of a misaligned fly in relation to the crank sensor would cause the car to misfire and possibly go into limp mode. If your not having any issues like that it may be aligned properly as he says.

I have heard of lightened flys causing issues on other cars but not on Zs. If the CPS was damaged I would imagine the same issues with misfire or limp would rear up. If the only thing worked on was the clutch the only things I can think of is a pressure leak from the exhaust manifold end or misaligned fly. Hopefully you get it sorted, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will offer advice.

Ah. Well my battery was knackered so that was also replaced! I'm wondering if it was that? The car is running well and the clutch feels great (heavier than before) 

I have done the idle relearn so I'm going to drive it for a while and see if it improves. 

If the flywheel was misallined would the car be driving badly?

I never found any issues when I replaced my battery aside from the fact one of my windows needed a reset as I left it open at the time.

If you have a lightened fly that might affect the idle initially but unlikely, tinkering with the throttle body itself usually requires a relearn but not replacing a battery. 

So all is running fine now you've done the relearn?

Like I said a misaligned fly would make the car run rough generally so that's probably OK if it does idle OK and run fine. 

My biggest fear is that the flywheel is misaligned and they have to drop the whole gearbox. any other problems can be relatively easily resolved. That said it would still be nice to know. I have done the idle relearn but the car is still idling low and stalling when I first start it up. I'm going to drive it until the start of next week and see if it improves if not I'm going to dump it back in with the mechanic and let him deal with it.

Can i just clarify that a misallined flywheel will result in a badly running engine?

After doing a bit of research I think my idle issues are actually down to the fact I had my battery replaced. Prior to my car breaking down the battery was running down all the time and it ran flat when I did breakdown. The car has not stalled for the last two days when turning it on so I'm hoping that the idle relearn is relearning. The clutch actually feels really nice to drive despite it being slightly heavier than the previous one.

Well I'm not sure it's sorted yet! It's still blipping very low when I start it up! I'm going to drive it for a week and go from there. 

I must admit the car does sound slightly different since the new clutch. More grungy! I'm not sure if that's normal either!