So few miles - keep or sell?

nictry

Having just picked up my beloved Z from the garage for its MOT I realised on looking at the previous MOT mileage how ridiculously few miles I am doing each year and despite lavishing yearly check ups and keeping everything in top condition how much I must be spending per mile of driving pleasure and whether it might be time to say goodbye to the Zed?

To put some perspective I have driven 1800 miles in year one of ownership, 1450 in year two, 711 in year 3 and since the last MOT a grand total of 806 miles which seems utterly crazy even though I know I only use the car on great weather days (with the top down) and generally for 'shorter' journeys on summer evenings.

I thought I would seek some opinions on whether I am the only one using my car so little or whether it really doesn't matter and I should keep enjoying her for the reasons I bought in the first place ie as a summer runabout only. I know only I know the answer but still interested on others' perspective?

I do approx 4k miles per year, but daily use. I don't work too far from home but do drive to work. I got my car in Sept 2015 with 55k on the clock and now we're in August 2017 and im at 62k. 

LOADS OF SMILES PER MILES. 

• Like 1

If you still enjoy it then why not keep it. If you've fallen out of love with it then time to move on 

If you sold it would it would you replace it? If so would you prefer this to its replacement?

Like you said only you know the answers

Since buying my Zed back last year, I've probably done less than 500 miles in it. When I owned it previously I think I did about 8K in 4.5 years :)

TBH, I'm waiting to get my garage so I can start restoring her to her previous best :)

It all comes down to you really. Do you still enjoy the time you spend with it? Would you replace it with something else? Will you prefer what you replace it with? 

Maybe you can be a bit less stringent with the days you drive her out maybe? Or just keep to the very best days to keep the best experience. I'm probably on course for 10-12K over a year but my 350 is my daily and im doing 30 miles each time i go into work, so cranking up the miles xD.

I only do about 2k a year and most of that is going out on drive outs and meets with the club. Mine used to be my only car other than a van and now also the daily which the other half uses. Now  it's just a toy and my hobby so wouldn't dream of selling it. 

How about getting along to some meets and drive outs ?

I'm in the same position as you. I've done less miles. 

Sometimes I think about selling but I know I'd miss it and want to replace it with something much more expensive. 

The other thing that convinces me to keep it, is that it's not really depreciating. If it was a newer car I couldn't justify how little I use it. That's the great thing about having a z roadster as a second car.

I am thinking of selling when my lease runs out on my daily, and replacing 2 cars with a quick practical one. Probably a CP M3. 

I bought my 2004 Zed in October 2015 with 26k on the clock and love it to pieces, I still haven't reached 30K ... I'm self employed but work from home and do very few business miles so it has a very easy life to be fair.

Can't see me ever buying another car as my daily driver and it's definitely for keeps, it joins a TR4 & A35 van which are used a lot less.

If the weather's really bad in the winter I cancel any meetings or travel plans, there again I'm 54 now and my running round trying to please other people are over these days, work independently and rely on no-one else.

I paid just under 8K and it's a beaut even though I say it myself. 

If you enjoy it and can afford to keep it then why not? Even if it does depreciate, it will not be by much.

I sold my 350Z because I was not doing very many miles and it was a second car. I missed it and ended up buying a 370Z which I still have.

Because it is not my daily every drive is enjoyable. She is pampered but I still use her in the winter - on the 'better' days.

I am around the 500 miles a year mark, it was a high mileage car at 120k on the clock when purchased but every year the average is considerably reduced so unless I get a seriously large repair bill or someone offers me a crazy amount of money for it I have no intent to sell. My main payments recently have been for sensors which don't seem to be cheap (between £120 and £200 each).

Some mad mileages here. I did nearly 20k in one year in my zed as my daily.

As others have said, if you can afford it then keep it. Ive 3 motorbikes in my garage and this last year have done precisely zero miles on them. I think last year I did 100 miles and the year before 500 miles. At one point id be doing 12k a year on them, but now ive a family I just dont get any spare time. Im keeping them though as hopefully at some point I will be able to use them more. If I was desperate for the cash then id have to consider whether or not to sell them.