Tesla model 3

Zeezeebaba

15 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Do you really think I've bought at £75K+ brand new car and pre-ordered another £35K+ one to save money??

It wouldn't surprise me if it was just to brag about all your money on forums to be honest. You'd probably have far better conversation about these things on an electric car forum...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AliveBoy said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was just to brag about all your money on forums to be honest. You'd probably have far better conversation about these things on an electric car forum...

So first I'm stupid for buying an EV because they are expensive, and now the only reason I bought one is to brag about money on the internet to bunch of strangers I have no personal connection to??

I love a good debate, but I thought we were all adults here not a bunch of 5 years old on the school playground, next someone will be asking about how high a wall we can wee over ;)

Seriously if you cannot think of an coherent argument to say what's the point of making personal attacks?

I should add I'm not the one who started this particular thread, so if you have a problem with discussing EVs maybe take it up with the OP :D.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

I certainly didn't intend to annoy anyone with this thread :)

The reason I posted was to highlight an affordable Tesla. I don't have 75k to spend on a car either.

I think the 3 will be the making of Tesla as a brand purely because it's affordable. 

I fully expect to see future Tesla products that are even cheaper. 

We will be getting one but I can't say exactly when at the moment. 

It even made the news this morning.

• Like 1

Is £35k really affordable though? You have to really want an EV to buy one, as mentioned already now your not buying a Tesla to save money so it doesn't matter how cheap it is per mile to run. 

If you wanted to save money and have an EV then the Zoe and Leaf are more affordable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, un1eash said:

Is £35k really affordable though? You have to really want an EV to buy one, as mentioned already now your not buying a Tesla to save money so it doesn't matter how cheap it is per mile to run. 

If you wanted to save money and have an EV then the Zoe and Leaf are more affordable.

Having just got my Nismo, and being on the hook for just shy of £28k, I'd say £35k isn't a HUGE sum of money, a base spec Mondeo starts at £21,945 - Add some options your almost at £30k for a common diesel family grocery grabber. Rather get something from the BMW range at that price IMO, but if EV's are your thing then £35k is a bargain once you compare it to rivals and fuel costs.

2 hours ago, Zeezeebaba said:

I certainly didn't intend to annoy anyone with this thread :)

The reason I posted was to highlight an theoretically affordable Tesla. I don't have 75k to spend on a car either.

I think the 3 will be the making of Tesla as a brand purely because it's might be affordable. 

I fully expect to see future Tesla products that are even cheaper. 

We will be getting one but I can't say exactly when at the moment. 

It even made the news this morning.

Fixed that for you. ;)

We still don't know what it'll cost when (or perhaps even if, given the demand in "higher priority" territories that Gangzoom keeps mentioning) it is actually sold here.

2 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

We still don't know what it'll cost when (or perhaps even if, given the demand in "higher priority" territories that Gangzoom keeps mentioning) it is actually sold here.

Tesla Q2 results were just announced, stock price has gone up 8% apparently on stronger than expected income from S/X sales.

International Model 3 production will start 2019 (so I suspect 2020 delivery), pricing structure same as current S/X (which will translate to £27K for base car - a base spec BMW 318i, 4 cylinder, manual, currently lists for £27K before options!!).

If RHD delivers look like dragging on longer, and the Model Y is announced (due 2019) I may flip my deposit to a Y, which is what I did with the X (originally had ordered S).

Edited by gangzoom

I'm hoping the 3 falls between the 25 and 35k mark, that puts it in budget. As for the Leaf or Zoe, the missus prefers the exterior design and interior of the 3 as do I.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the issue here. It will cost peanuts to run compared to a ICE vehicle. The purchase cost if as stated is in our budget is the same amount we are planning to pay for her new car anyway.

I'm still the family petrol head by the way and won't be relinquishing my hobby just yet. ;)

We have off road parking within our property boundary with regards charging so all good.

Even if I didn't want a 3 I'm out voted by the rest of the clan, however I'm fairly positive about it and would like to think my views on EV though initially skeptical will air on a more positive note once it's here.

Anyhow there's a long wait so I would rather not speculate to much before they arrive on this continent.

28 minutes ago, un1eash said:

They should revisit the roadster, a Tesla based on the V6 Exige body is something I could get on board with. 

A drivers EV now that's cool. Is there any reason why you couldn't put a manual/ semi auto box in to an EV for enthusiasts. I'm not an engineer and I know electric motors give instant torque depending on power given but theoretically it could be done couldn't it?

Maybe there's to much torque generated for a conventional box but surely something can be done to at least make it feel more driver orientated.

At least then all a petrol head gives up is noise and that's slightly more palatable tbh.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Not for me, it isn't. Noise, feeling, mechanical thrashing, that build up of power to a crescendo (the latter being why I prefer petrol over diesel) is intrinsic to my enjoyment of cars. The one thing I don't give a hoot about is straight line performance, which is the only thing that Tesla offer for the motoring enthusiast.

With speed limits closing in, 0-60 and top speed is becoming less relevant in the modern world. It's why the 350 remains such a tempting proposition, as its quick enough to be fun but slow enough you can actually use the power. Winning traffic light GPs is something for children to get excited about.

• Like 1

The way cars are going upsets me greatly. 

I have a 2016 XC60 D5 polestar as a daily. I've had it from new and I like it a lot. It even sounds ok for a diesel and has 240bhp. It's well spec'd for the  price, so I thought I'd try the new xc90. The one the press raves about. 

I was horrified as soon as it started. The D5 is no longer a 2.4, 5 cylinder......its a cheap, tinny, noisey 4 pot diesel in a car that costs nearly £55k. It sounds like it belongs in a £20k golf. 

Any lab tests that say it's more efficient/enviro friendly than the old engine are rubbish in the real world. It struggled to move such a big car and the driving experience was awful. It was woefully underpowered, mpg must be awful for anyone who attempts to drive one "enthusiastically".

There is no V6 option, just s ridiculously over priced hybrid model for rich hipsters.  

I personally despise the idea of driving and ev, although I do appreciate they have come along way. 

No doubt the ridiculously expensive ones are brutally quick in a straight line, but they weigh too much to be fun to drive. 

Ill get one when I have no choice, but not before then. 

Edited by Kev

I'm not a drag strip jockey either hence  the reason for getting an Elise.

It's the whole experience of feeling in control and at one with a car, enjoying the twisties with a nice balanced chassis and just enough power to exploit it at legal speeds. I'm just hoping that when and if things change from an ownership point of view not all of the fun goes.

I had a little Lupo GTI once and along with the FRP still rates as some of the best front driving fun I've had. The Hondas were good especially the DC2 but my move to RWD opened up even more fun :) the Elise will cap that off nicely.

The biggest threat to my fun is outright autonomy but hopefully I will be to old to care by then.

The Z found a place I hadn't really explored and that was modding,  I still enjoy the car but with the ensuing company hack coming it's lightweight impractical weekender time and I can't wait!

The Tes will be the other half's car and hopefully a nice family run about. 

15 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Tesla Q2 results were just announced, stock price has gone up 8% apparently on stronger than expected income from S/X sales.

International Model 3 production will start 2019 (so I suspect 2020 delivery), pricing structure same as current S/X (which will translate to £27K for base car - a base spec BMW 318i, 4 cylinder, manual, currently lists for £27K before options!!).

If RHD delivers look like dragging on longer, and the Model Y is announced (due 2019) I may flip my deposit to a Y, which is what I did with the X (originally had ordered S).

I saw a blue car once. True story.

18 hours ago, un1eash said:

They should revisit the roadster, a Tesla based on the V6 Exige body is something I could get on board with. 

They will be, after the Model Y is done.

You better start saving up the pennies, something tells me a 0-60mph time of sub 2 second might just be a tad more expensive than even the current £130k+  P100D X.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/13/tesla-roadster-next-gen-elon-musk-maximum-plaid/

Edited by gangzoom

On 03/08/2017 at 18:21, Zeezeebaba said:

It will cost peanuts to run compared to a ICE vehicle

Nonsense, i used my 350z for two years and sold it for a little more than i bought it, i guarantee i spent less in fuel and maintenance than you will in depreciation, it all depends on what you class as "running costs" but in reality, depreciation is one of them.

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Nonsense, i used my 350z for two years and sold it for a little more than i bought it, i guarantee i spent less in fuel and maintenance than you will in depreciation, it all depends on what you class as "running costs" but in reality, depreciation is one of them.

Ok so our budget is set, this is the amount we are spending on a car. Whatever car we buy will depreciate from initial purchase. I would be willing to bet the residual value of the 3 will be better than a ICE car. You need to factor out the purchase cost in our case, the sensible thing to do is buy a secondhand car but hey that's what we have already. My missus tends to keep her vehicles much much longer than I do, the longest was ten years !

I understand where you are coming from and it's the reason I've always bought second hand or nearly new. She wants a new car, she likes the 3 what can I say :)

If she likes, she wants it and she's happy that you'll both pay for it, It's a no brainer - anything else is just inviting reprimands about "that car you made me buy" and "it never would have happened if we bought the one I wanted".

I'm not quite sure when buying an EV as a practical workhorse became tantamount to burning down the forum and then doing a poo in everyone's cars, but I suspect it happened sometime just after political correctness went mad :wacko: 

• Like 1

Whilst I personally will never drive an EV, you go ahead. Enjoy, and enjoy the benefits. I've probably lost £5k on my Nismo in just as many months and half the mileage. Yet, everytime I get in it, it makes me happy. So your wife hopefully will be the same. You can afford a new car, and want one so go do it ^_^

Go enjoy your car, and kick the crap outta reps in diesel mobiles for us. The enemy of my enemy is my fwiend ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mikevv said:

Whilst I personally will never drive an EV, you go ahead. Enjoy, and enjoy the benefits. I've probably lost £5k on my Nismo in just as many months and half the mileage. Yet, everytime I get in it, it makes me happy. So your wife hopefully will be the same. You can afford a new car, and want one so go do it ^_^

Go enjoy your car, and kick the crap outta reps in diesel mobiles for us. The enemy of my enemy is my fwiend ;)

Don't worry mate I've spent a fortune on my Z too ;)

Her car is one thing, my cars are something else :)

20 hours ago, Zeezeebaba said:

Ok so our budget is set, this is the amount we are spending on a car. Whatever car we buy will depreciate from initial purchase. I would be willing to bet the residual value of the 3 will be better than a ICE car. You need to factor out the purchase cost in our case, the sensible thing to do is buy a secondhand car but hey that's what we have already. My missus tends to keep her vehicles much much longer than I do, the longest was ten years !

I understand where you are coming from and it's the reason I've always bought second hand or nearly new. She wants a new car, she likes the 3 what can I say :)

No offence meant dude, just get a little tired of reading false claims on here of why its good to buy an ev, running costs, environment and the plethora of other reasons the forums ev's jehoavas witness has listed...i dont know why anyone buying seems to want to justify it, if anyone wants an ev, fill your boots, but at some point it will come full circle and the government will switch back to a good old fashioned road tax with incorporate into that the revenue they will be loosing from fuel duty, so we are back to square one, if anyone thinks the future of motoring will be free, well, it wont be and cant be.

I cant knock anyone who owns an Elise :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 4

JW...... you rang lol 

EV's are cool and get to have a mini meet at every service station :) I like Elon, he believes in God. I've driven a few EV's and find them as boring as waiting for ones luggage at an airport departure lounge.

As a home to work/school to home form of transport I doubt they can be beaten for 90% of the car buying....... sorry financing/leasing public. 

Edited by davey_83

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

JW...... you rang lol 

EV's are cool and get to have a mini meet at every service station :) I like Elon, he believes in God. I've driven a few EV's and find them as boring as waiting for ones luggage at an airport departure lounge.

As a home to work/school to home form of transport I doubt they can be beaten for 90% of the car buying....... sorry financing/leasing public. 

You like Elon because he believes in god :) , which one?

My vote is on Thor! !

From what I've read he's far to intelligent to believe in man made religions.

Edited by Zeezeebaba