Some one call a doctor... I can feel a severe case of Zeditis about to kick in...

Jester

Just sat down and thought, right what am I going to do to the Zed to get it to where I want to. 

These are just general wear and tear things plus the odd improvement

Essential (next 12 months)

Clutch - £750  (maybe new fly wheel too) - Feels OK but zed has done 38k and 40k seems to be the expected life?

Tyres - £600 - new fronts defo as starting to crack where the car was sat not being used

Spacers - £200

Brakes - £480 - squeaking but stopping well for now, will probably take the chance to upgrade

W Brace - £450 - looks like a cadburys flake

Re-roof - £850 - Still water tight, just a couple of tiny tears in the usual corners

Stereo

Fit Kit - £70

Head Unit - £429

Speakers x 4 - £250

Amp -  £300

Fitting/ Parts - £150

Quick Q - I "think" these prices seem about right, any wisdom on where I can make some savings at all?

Your W Brace (assuming you mean the one underneath) can be replaced by aftermarket item for less than £200

Clutches last as long as you let them last, some people have reported 100k clutches others reporting them gone in 30k - depends on how nicely they have been treated in the past. Dont replace it just because its got 40k on the clock.

• Like 1

Well, there is no fighting it, I know that much. Personally, I'd have the funding ready for the clutch failure, but wouldn't throw money at something that's ok. Best thing is to look at the traders Torqen and Tarmacsportz for the majority of those bits. 

Have fun though:teeth:

• Like 1

Hold back on the in car entertainment stuff too - a few times a year [insert various car audio websites here] have big blow out sales and you can get great deals, I got my touch screen JVC with BT etc for £130.

4 minutes ago, coldel said:

Hold back on the in car entertainment stuff too - a few times a year [insert various car audio websites here] have big blow out sales and you can get great deals, I got my touch screen JVC with BT etc for £130.

Been toying with that... thing is I actually prefer the stereo off and listening to the tune of the engine... and am particular on ICE if I am going to do it. 

Thing is modern tech moves so fast and in a way the Zed is the oasis away from all of that!  

7 minutes ago, Redsky said:

Clutch in mine was up to 70K and felt fine it was the slave cylinder that killed off my clutch. unless someones been roasting yours horrendously it should be fine :).

Best news today - not been abused so should be OK. Maybe just getting used to the slightly agricultural feeling between 1 and 2 (car still only a month or so old to me)

It is a clunky gear box (certainly compared to other cars I have driven) but do not worry too much about that, syncros are prone on the gearboxes but otherwise its a meaty monster that should see you good.

120k miles on my clutch and when taken out (due to engine swap) there was still plenty of life left.

The OEM clutch is perfectly fine and fit for purpose.

if there's one thing that causes issues and catestrophic problems is oil usage. Just keep a close eye.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

127k on the clock, and no invoice history on a clutch. However, it's heavy and can be like a switch so suspect its been upgraded at some point in its life. 

You boys have 100k miles on me!

Just stalled it nicely :-*> , seems tight enough - was just worried about bit point height but that could be me just getting used to it.  First sports car for a while!

This list of things I "thought" i might need to do is getting smaller :-)

100k and the car is as tight as a drum mate. Its why I tell people not to get too hung on mileage when purchasing, mine came with FSH and lived in a garage, the last owner had her for 7 years and looked after her

The standard clutch biting point is high on the Z anyway. It took me a while to get used to it. Also the fly by wire throttle in standard tune seems a little hesitant and thus doesn't help smooth getaways. All perfectly normal.

There is a mod to adjust the biting point but I've never bothered and just to add my clutch was replaced at over 90k and still had a good 10k in it. The biting point was exactly the same after the new clutch was fitted. 

The best money I spent was on the Uprev map, throttle action is now comparable to other cars with a smooth linear pick up.