My Gearbox WOES on my 720 bhp 350Z (pictures)

ZMANALEX

Well it had to happen eventually.

The car is producing 720bhp at the wheels and circa 700 lbs.ft.

Used predominantly on track, but still loved and cherished.

For those of a technical disposition this is the original box from a 2005 350Z Roadster (28,000 miles) and not the later CD009 transmission with the improved syncros.

However the part that failed is shared by all VQ35DE gearboxes.

Unfortunately not worth of fixing as the cost of replacing the damaged part (Main Drive Gear) and the marrying counter shaft gear set and upgrading the syncros to CD009  quality would exceed the cost of a new CD009 gearbox from over the pond at less than 2k delivered to my shop.

Some images of today's adventure:

DSCF5277.JPG

DSCF5278.JPG

DSCF5297.JPG

DSCF5288.JPG

DSCF5292.JPG

DSCF5298.JPG

• Like 1

Bloody hell Alex! That's a lot of power, little wonder it took out the main drive gear! Have you been unable to find a CD009 in the UK? That would surely be cheaper than getting one stateside?

• Like 1

720 at the wheels has got to be close to triple the stock O.O Thats amazing. Kind of annoying how a ton and a half of brilliant work is brought to its knees by a couple of shards of metal deciding to bugger off.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, -G- said:

Bloody hell Alex! That's a lot of power, little wonder it took out the main drive gear! Have you been unable to find a CD009 in the UK? That would surely be cheaper than getting one stateside?

Yeah Gary, got one last week but not as cheap as the one in the link that you PM'd me. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy james said:

You have had a good run with that box Alex and I'm hoping my one will soldier on!

Thinking the internals of the Zed box was robbed from a truck when designed. Lol

Providing the syncros do not give up, the early boxes are usually fine.

However the 3 teeth that sheered off were central to an oil gallery feed supply hole.

And as it was a 1st motion shaft failure (main drive gear) then it has got to be down to the torque.

Good luck with your box  mate, however I would not envisage that you will have any issues as they are robust albeit a bit agricultural.

53 minutes ago, Redsky said:

720 at the wheels has got to be close to triple the stock O.O Thats amazing. Kind of annoying how a ton and a half of brilliant work is brought to its knees by a couple of shards of metal deciding to bugger off.

Very annoying but it is what it is and just got to deal with it.

That is the trade off in venturing into the realms of circa 700 lbs ft torque.

I am fortunate that I can fix these issues and that I have the premises and tools and equipment to deal with  such eventualities.

I have never seen or heard of a (1st motion shaft) final drive gear failing.

2 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Very annoying but it is what it is and just got to deal with it.

That is the trade off in venturing into the realms of circa 700 lbs ft torque.

I am fortunate that I can fix these issues and that I have the premises and tools and equipment to deal with  such eventualities.

I have never seen or heard of a (1st motion shaft) final drive gear failing.

Starting to punch into hypercar power territory there :)

13 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Did you get the new box from the Glasgow eBay guy? Seemed like a good price, fortunately my drunken state only let me fling in one bid for it lol. Glad it went to someone deserving :-)

No, not me Gary.

On 7/28/2017 at 17:16, ZMANALEX said:

Can you not just move your PB images to say, Imgur ?

From what I have seen you have to pay PB's stupid fee to gain access to your pics.....unless someone knows otherwise?