New to Silver detailing

RVSV2824

Hi, 

So from researching am I right in thinking the following options are the way to go after washing and drying:

Carlack NSC 68

Poorboys blackhole

FK1000p

Or

Carlack NSC 68

AG SRP

AG EGP

I already have some Nattys blue wax at home but also heard good things about the Nattys white for lighter coloured cars. 

Also read about ODK sterling wax and Bilt Hamber cleanse polish being great products too. 

Edited by RVSV2824

By all accounts the wax's/polishes for different colours is a bit of clever marketing (much like targeted pain relief ibuprofen) - if I were you have a nose through Illogikals test thread where he talks about testing loads of different products.

• Like 1

Are you blade sliver or Gunmetal?

I'm Silver and can vouch  for poor boy blackhole (even though its meant for dark cars). I've just tried 50 cal and thats perfectly fine as well.

I use supernatural as a  wax or sealant, but its pretty much all I've ever used. I've had the same tub since I brought the car.

I don't generally take pictures post wash, but my build thread has pictures in it, so if any of them look shiny its probably a result of poorboys followed by supernatural.

I can confirm that there's a tiny, tiny difference between Natty's Blue and White that's virtually indiscernible even when they're side by side on the same panel in the same light.

The only reason I'd treat silver different to something like black (for example) is that it can be difficult to get any depth to silver, so I'd tend to stick to sealants/coatings to get maximum gloss rather than looking for depth and/or wet look.

From this;

33 minutes ago, RVSV2824 said:

Carlack NSC 68

Poorboys blackhole

FK1000p

There's little-to-no point in using Black Hole before FK1000P, as FK is quite solventy it'll just strip the Black Hole anyway - Black Hole should be reserved for use under Carnauba waxes like Natty's only, really. FK will also bond better to bare paint than to a filler glaze too, so drop the Black Hole if using FK1000P.

35 minutes ago, RVSV2824 said:

AG SRP

AG EGP

Nope. Just nope.

SRP is fine if you don't know any better (or don't really care), but EGP is now so old hat that it's a lot of effort to use for literally none of the benefits it used to be able to offer. There are many, many (many, MANY!) better products for less money about these days. You've already named two for a start!

• Like 2

Thanks for replies. 

Didn't realise the auto gylm stuff wasn't all that. 

I know especially for silver cars, the finish comes down to the Prep but I jus want choose the right products and use them correctly.

So from what I understand the Carlack 68 is pretty good for a cleanse prior to a Polish or glaze? 

I would like to try the blackhole as I've heard lots of good things about it. So would you recommend a sealant after this step or carnauba wax like the Nattys blue I already have? 

Yes, Carlack is second only to (the now unavailable) Werkstat Prep. It's very good.

Definitely only use Black Hole under a wax - Natty's is perfect for it because they're designed to work well together.

To get the absolute best out of silver though, you're looking at making sure the paint is as clean as can possibly be and machine polishing, anything you top it with after that is largely down to preference really - aside from SiO2 coatings, it's not going to make a huge difference in reality, you just want to protect the paintwork by that point.

SiO2 coatings are a completely different story though, they'll add gloss to any finish but can be a bit of a pain to apply properly compared to a wax or acrylic sealants.

Ah I see. 

So if I was to use the blackhole, dont bother with a sealant...  apply the wax instead. 

I know a lot is down to personal preference, especially with silver. 

Hell of a lot of differing options on the matter though... So many people suggested Fk1000p. 

On 24/07/2017 at 13:25, ilogikal1 said:

SRP is fine if you don't know any better (or don't really care), but EGP is now so old hat that it's a lot of effort to use for literally none of the benefits it used to be able to offer. There are many, many (many, MANY!) better products for less money about these days. You've already named two for a start!

Personally i think SRP gets a bit of a raw deal. if you can only apply a product by hand, it is useful to act as a glaze, is a good paint cleanser and can act as a base for a last stage product. In other words a good all in one. Totally agree with you about EGP though. Much better LSP's out there

20 hours ago, Taxboy said:

Personally i think SRP gets a bit of a raw deal. if you can only apply a product by hand, it is useful to act as a glaze, is a good paint cleanser and can act as a base for a last stage product. In other words a good all in one. Totally agree with you about EGP though. Much better LSP's out there

I disagree. There are considerably better glazes, considerably better cleaners, considerably better base products, considerably better AIO's, all for considerably better money, IMO.

I'd even go as far as to say that SRP is a terrible paint cleaner. Granted it's full of fillers so makes a reasonable glaze though. One thing I do know for sure though; it's a s***e polish that it's named for! :lol:

All IMHO of course, I know some people do like it and if it works for you, go for it. 

3 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

I disagree. There are considerably better glazes, considerably better cleaners, considerably better base products, considerably better AIO's, all for considerably better money, IMO.

I'd even go as far as to say that SRP is a terrible paint cleaner. Granted it's full of fillers so makes a reasonable glaze though. One thing I do know for sure though; it's a s***e polish that it's named for! :lol:

All IMHO of course, I know some people do like it and if it works for you, go for it. 

Out of Interest what is your recommended AIO for applying by hand. I'm currently using Bilt Hamber cleanser polish, which seems to work well 

26 minutes ago, Taxboy said:

Out of Interest what is your recommended AIO for applying by hand. I'm currently using Bilt Hamber cleanser polish, which seems to work well 

AF Tripple is a great filing AIO, but I'm not sure it's better than Cleanser Fluid (which is pretty good itself).

AF Rejuvinate is just about my favourite cutting AIO though; very little else comes close to it, especially in terms of paint cleaning even if you go dedicated cleaner. By hand it doesn't have much cut, so it's safe to use on all paint types.

• Like 1