Forum Traders vs outside agencies

Mondo 300

I've been wondering this for a while and now seems a good time to raise the query: should the forum membership be promoting paying Traders on here before outside traders?

I ask because, whenever someone enquires about having a steering wheel retrimmed, everyone responds by recommending Jack Royal. That's fair enough if they want something that's a bizarre shape but, for a "straight" retrim, shouldn't I get a shot...?

I pay my dues to be a Trader on here and, without meaning to sound petulant, I think that should entitle me to the first bite of the cherry. Unless they want the wheel reprofiling - he can keep those jobs! :lol:

Any thoughts, guys?

• Like 3

By paying your Trader Fee it gives you exactly that right i.e. to trade on the forum. It in no way gives a you or any other trader a "right" to "first bite of the cherry".  I have been a member here since 2010 and in my experience it is those traders that make the most of the opportunity here by creating offers and a "presence" so to speak that are the most successful.  The forum membership can "promote" as you say whoever they wish and whoever they have had a good experience with or heard good reports about.  My feelings currently are as follows, if I want a steering wheel re trimmed my first port of call would indeed be Jack Royal, however if I wanted my seats recovered it would by you. If you feel you should be doing more steerring wheel retrimming then maybe a group buy offer/discount should be a consideration.  Photographs of work carried out previously are also a good idea.

• Like 3

Same situation where a member posts up in the Wanted section.

If I have the parts in stock and can help a fellow member, I will post up that I have the parts and that they are in stock etc.

Then some other members post up directing the guy to Ebay.  :surrender:

I have never quite figured that one out.:wacko:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glrnet said:

By paying your Trader Fee it gives you exactly that right i.e. to trade on the forum. It in no way gives a you or any other trader a "right" to "first bite of the cherry".  I have been a member here since 2010 and in my experience it is those traders that make the most of the opportunity here by creating offers and a "presence" so to speak that are the most successful.  The forum membership can "promote" as you say whoever they wish and whoever they have had a good experience with or heard good reports about.  My feelings currently are as follows, if I want a steering wheel re trimmed my first port of call would indeed be Jack Royal, however if I wanted my seats recovered it would by you. If you feel you should be doing more steerring wheel retrimming then maybe a group buy offer/discount should be a consideration.  Photographs of work carried out previously are also a good idea.

That's fair enough. I wanted opinions.

I suppose I could stop being a paid trader and just be a member as enough people on here are familiar with the work I produce that any queries for retrims would likely end up directed to my website anyway. That wouldn't be contravening any rules on here and would also save me money too.

Maybe my wording was off a little, but I still think it's a bit poor that someone who contributes to the running and upkeep of this forum is far more often than not bypassed for an "outsider."

Up to the membership, imho. The second anyone starts telling me who I can and cannot promote for certain things and I'm outta here.  We don't pay to be here, but you do pay to advertise. 

A more pertinent question would be should the Team point at you guys in the first instance? That's a more difficult one to answer, and I'm not even going to try. 

Personally Mondo I think you've shot yourself in the foot with this thread, and I say that as a previous customer of yours (ahead of Jack ;) ). If you want the business then prove you're worth it, and by not doing profiling it's much easier for people to point others in Jack's direction as he does everything. I understand why you choose not to, indeed I may well do the same in your shoes, but this question would've been much better as a PM to the Team rather than aired in public. 

• Like 1

Hi Si. 

I think on your case you're still a relatively new trader. We also have a significant number of new members over past year who maybe don't know you're here, and they recommend Jack because that's the trimmer they know.

I recommend you not because you're a trader here, but because I have seen and used your work first hand. Lots of people recommend Jack for the same reasons - they've seen his work and not yours. 

And tbh, at £55 a year traders fee it's buttons and easily recovered. Compare that to the cost of numerous other forums and clubs and we offer a complete bargain.

My opinion is that by having a paid presence here you gain incremental work, if Jack Royal signed up as a trader no doubt his sales through this forum would increase as he can actively market and promote his work as well as fire up group buys and the like.

The model is what it is, there are other models but we feel this sits aligned with the ethos and principles of the forum. Trader fees on sites like GTR and Porsche run into hundreds of pounds or even four figures. 

This Year it looks like you have started 2 thread in your area, you even state it's been a while since posting in one of them, half the battle is having an active account. I would imagine if we ran a poll to see if members even knew your business existed and what you do I bet the majority would be on the side of not knowing who you are or what you do. The membership roster is a constant change so most likely anyone who has joined in the last 6 months hasn't even seen you post.

People can't promote or suggest who they don't know

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 3

The difficulty would also arise when multiple trader offer similar products, Tarmac sportz, Torqen, Abbey, Horsham etc. 

As a lowly member trader, I find find keeping threads updated and bumped regularly helps me to sell.

This all seems to answer my question, really. I can't especially promote my work if I'm not actively working on either a 350Z or 370Z, unless I post loads of threads about cars that members potentially have zero interest in.

As I said, it was a question I wanted to ask and I don't regret asking it. Nor do I expect to regret it in the future. :)

Thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

People may not be interested in the cars themselves that you're working on, but they'll be interested in seeing the retrim quality itself. Especially if they were already considering a retrim. 

• Like 7

Just now, Mondo@Hide N Seat said:

but I still think it's a bit poor that someone who contributes to the running and upkeep of this forum is far more often than not bypassed for an "outsider."

Then be bigger and better than the outsider, We have Tarmac and Torqen on board who can supply basically any product you need. yet I guarantee most people would still send people to driftworks for say wheels because Driftworks have become a 'household' name for anyone in the Uk tuning scene.

The simple answer is, become that household name even if its within this community for your work, This may sound horrible but the members owe you nothing, you really need to push it like the two traders I mentions have to become the names people say first. not saying anything wrong with your work or service but you need to be out there more.

Edited by StevoD

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

If I have the parts in stock and can help a fellow member, I will post up that I have the parts and that they are in stock etc.

I always point people to yoiu Alex becuae I know there's a more than a very good chance that you will have the part, I however, would always compare ebay prices if the part was available there too.

• Like 1

Jack seems to be the go to guy for steering wheels on every forum I've ever been on. 

I first seen seen one of his wheels on a m3 forum years ago. Seen them on Alfa and Porsche forums too. 

Your work is really good and if I was having my interior done, you'd be the first person I would call. 

If it wasn't for you being on here I probably wouldn't be aware of your work. 

I suppose few people have full retrims, yet loads have their wheels done. Definitley worth posting pics and prices. 

I would always ways use a trader from here in preference to other places. Unless it is substantially cheaper to go elsewhere. 

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2

As others have said, I'd be interested to follow a retrimming thread or blog if you were to start one. People on here aren't just interested in 350z's.

If you posted before and after pics of what you do in a daily basis I would find it most interesting. 

Not to mention if somebody asked who to go to for x/y/z and you have examples of that I would certainly send a link. 

Iv heard a lot of people recommend you for things. Earlier today actually on the 350z general leather query thread. 

The trader fees on this forum are ridiculously small for the amount of business can generate, if the services and products you offer are promoted consistently, at just £55/year. I'd be happy to pay that per month without hesitation. As others said, trader fees should be raised, even more now when we've been told we have a new server, new site etc. That must cost quite a lot to rent / maintain. I speak from experience as we have a few colocated servers.

My advice, of course, if you allow me, is to be a bit more active here, post at least once a week with lots of photos and videos of your work, doesn't have to be 350z or 370z. Members are looking I guess for trim quality, leather colours and options, stitching styles and so on.

I'm here every day and I quite forgot about your services until your recent thread with the green seats. Funnily enough I was look for similar services for my two Jeep Wranglers, so I'll be in touch soon, once they arrives in UK in August. If new members don't see your threads, you can have the best services and the cheapest prices, they won't find out about it, so they'll go to Jack Royal by default. :) 

Hope this helps.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, glrnet said:

I always point people to yoiu Alex becuae I know there's a more than a very good chance that you will have the part, I however, would always compare ebay prices if the part was available there too.

I woudl always point people to Alex regardless, even if on the odd occasion something on ebay is a pound or two cheaper.  What you get with Alex is someone who will genuinely offer you the right part and if its something substantial can offer advice too.

Thankfully most people don't need aftersales, but when you do need it, it really matters that you can get it.

• Like 1

There are a lot of members on here that don't own 350z anymore. I actually went to your website yesterday looking for any VW campers you have done as we need 2 captains chairs and a 3 seat bench redoing. But couldn't find anything on your website. 

'I did fill out the contact form but haven't pressed send yet as we are trying to decide what to do. 

But seeing other examples of your work would help. If I know every post is going to be 350z related I won't bother looking. 

The detailing guy posts lots of different vehicles he has done with a good write up each time. 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2017 at 17:25, glrnet said:

@Mondo@Hide N Seat so how much would you charge and what would the lead time be to retrim a 350z steering wheel on an exchange basis as follows-?

Nissan 350Z 2004 - Thicker (2mm), Perforated leather on sides, Smooth top/bottom, Black or Blue stitching

PM me if you prefer.

So........nearly 72 hours later and no repsonse, that leads me to one conclusion......................  Regretfully I will proceed with Jack Royal as was my original intention.

• Like 2

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 16:58, ZMANALEX said:

I don't trust ebay for car parts hence always recommend Alex and EmperorTuning (no longer trading).  I rather pay extra for good quality used parts and customer service. 99.99% the part will be the right one for you unless you stated the wrong spec/car model.

If someone asked me for a recommendation I would give details of the best person for the job, or the cheapest depending on what they require

If I had friends/family/traders on an owners club I wouldn't recommend them first just because I knew them. I would probably mention them but wouldn't necessarily recommend them first

Paying trader fees on here is paying for advertising, not to get your foot in the door first

That's my opinion anyway 

• Like 1

People recommend who they know of and who they think will do a good job, I'm sure someone who has used you before would recommend you. I have no doubt that your work is very good, I have seen photos and read about you.  However, I regularly see that other traders are responding to people who have posted for advice or looking for a good place to spend their money. Doing the same would help.

Being a paid up registered trader enables you to do that, and it also puts you on the list of companies that can be looked at in that section. 

My advice is to occasionally put something on the forum to show us what you are getting up to and give us something to read/look at. Would only take a couple of minutes to knock a post together with some pictures every now and again, and that would keep you at the top of the pile (for want of a better set of words)

• Like 2

On 23/07/2017 at 10:02, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Members are looking I guess for trim quality, leather colours and options, stitching styles and so on.

My note to traders would be: More often than not im just looking for ideas to spend my spare change on so get your work/products bumped. 

Doesn't really matter if the steering wheel you retrim is from a Lexus or the car you've detailed is a Honda, its the quality of the work/products that interest me. Then it's just a matter of translating it to the Zed if it wasn't already.

I haven't had my Zed long and I didn't know who Torqen, Tarmac or Mondo were until I came on here, speaks volumes for the traders on this forum I think. I've already ordered parts from Tarmac and it turns out my car already had Torqen spacers fitted. Wouldn't have known about either without the forum. 

Keep those offers coming. :thumbs:

This seems to have caused a fair bit of controversy, which certainly wasn't the intention.

Regarding my posting pictures of any work I'm doing; that's what I keep Facebook for. I seem to be the only person who has the following point of view, but I personally feel that a vehicle-specific forum (such as this one) should only have pictures and topics posted in my Trader area of that specific vehicle. Yes, I know that other Traders post whatever they're up to, but that simply doesn't make sense to me personally. Just one of those things, I guess.

I'll take on board what's been said here. Thanks to the people who've commented. :)

• Like 2