Drift school EXPERIENCES?

Jk-boi

Has anyone had any experience of any drift schools,

Id really like to learn, for no other reason than I just fancy learning, if it helps with controlling unintentional skids on wet roads then yeah all well and good but let me stress I will not be going out on public roads drifting pretending im DK from F&F.

my only criteria is i don't want to do it in my own car as i have no intention of ever drifting the Z.

If it could be somewhere not to far away (norfolk/suffolk) that would also be a plus.

Ive seen this https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/driving-experiences/courses/skid-control/skid-control-essex/

Any experiences would be really helpful !!!!!!

I've done it a couple of times for various Bday presents. Dunno if it still runs but i used driftexperience.co.uk, used their Nissan Laurel, R33gtst, Soarer and 180. Started with donuts (i was useless), figure 8s, then multiple transitions. I enjoyed it and it the instructions were helpful. It was on a DWYB day too, so when I'd finished, I went and watched people go round the Santa Pod drift track. This was about 3 yrs ago. 

• Like 1

Your link there isnt a drift school, its a harnessed skid pan thing which is pants IMO. 

Learn2drift and Flatout Factory are the best, the instructors are all old hands and from what Im told their customers are very happy, they would be my recommendations for sure, looks like Flatout are selling through Intotheblue  

I thought someone used to do teaching at Norfolk Arena as well but cant find that, the Oulton days Ive heard are good but I dont know whether they do much instruction :)

• Like 1

the way drift cars are set up for these days with welded diffs etc dont represent what a factory car does in a slide at all

Rockingham have a new drift school opening soon with a fleet of 350z so might be worth chasing that out

• Like 1

I have done a few drift days now with Learn to drift, great day out!

Picked up it pretty easily and was going sideways around teeside on my second run out B)

Willy waving aside - I genuinely think Drifting on Forza 5 helped me transition into real life drifting quite easy

• Like 2

I literally was just googling this, my birthdays coming up and figured why not :p

I just can't get excited about " learn to drift in an MX-5 " - I have a GT86 to do that in, and it's the easiest thing to control ( so far ) The Nismo bites back some times when I "forget" that I'm not in the 86 hahaha

Anyone done bronze and silver of any courses?

Ive been driving 10 odd years now and have had plenty of performance cars so wouldn't be a novice driver, just a novice drifter :blush: not sure how "beginner" the bronze is....e.g welcome boys and girls this is a car and this pedal makes it go faster :lol: 

Not a drift school but i did the AMG experience at Mercedes Benz world.  They have a dry straight, wet straight, skid pan, and two circuits.

It was fairly expensive but good value for me, i drove an E63 AMG worth north of 50k for a full hour in the car and they really urge you to push on and get the most from the car. Not like a red letter day where you only get 3 laps and cant push.

Good mix of circuit driving and drifting / handling on the skid pan.

Cost me 200 quid on a special deal but not so bad when you consider the value of the car, fuel and tyre wear etc.

• 3 months later...

Did a L2D day for my first one, £60 for the morning is all you'll need, donuts, some 8s and short tracks. They encourage you to rinse the cars, mostly NA s14s and IS200s, plenty good enough in the wet with welded diffs.

My short track by the end of it having never driven a rwd and owning a DC2 integra at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohu65hLDUL8

I've been drifting on sims for years though and competing... the timing is all exactly the same, if anything it's easier as you have so much more feedback than just yours eyes and hands!

On 26/07/2017 at 01:34, Jk-boi said:

I have emailed these, looks pretty good.

The instructor list is excellent, Matt, Paul and Martin are up there with the best in Europe and the others arent far behind

40 minutes ago, Cimanu said:

I've been drifting on sims for years though and competing... the timing is all exactly the same, if anything it's easier as you have so much more feedback than just yours eyes and hands!

Its a bit different when youre drifting your own car and there is stuff to hit ;)

I have done the experience days (birthday for a friend), which is the standard donuts, figure of 8 and mini course, which is fun.... all done at slow speeds and 1st gear only.

Then I did a full day with Learn2Drift........ now that was fun!!! For the price of an expensive track day, I got loads of seat time, private 1 on 1 instructor, who was VERY good, unlimited fuel and tyres. By lunch time I was doing initiating at the top end of 2nd gear with a scandi flick and clutch kick, the difference at speed is HUGE! At lunch time I was asked to do the mini course that they had setup for the "experience" group, most of them were struggling with it, it was just too easy! So the 1 on 1 time, additional seat time, more space, all really helped!

The full day was absolutely worth the money! Would definitely do it again.... I struggled with the transition of the figure of 8s, but after 5-10 minutes got it sorted and its that transition that makes it fun :D

EDIT - yes, I felt it gave me a lot more confidence on track, even in the GTR!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 09:14, Jay84 said:

I can do 8's all day long, but I struggled with the constant adjustment of throttle and steering involved with donuts. 

Ive taught some people myself and no-one ever just jumps in a car and does it, donuts and FO8's are valuable experience for when you start doing it with walls and other cars about. Weirdly we always found girls were better than blokes as well, more listening and less throttle mashing I guess, the younger guy usually pick it up quicker as I suppose they have less to unlearn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The L2D days are brilliant.

I did one two years ago and did just jump in and did everything they asked first attempt. Simulators really do teach you well it turns out... At the time I owned a DC2 and had never even driven a rwd.

Vid of my short circuit from that day.. I think I paid £59 for the morning session, so donuts, fig 8s and a couple of times through this course: