Tyre pressure monitoring system TPMS?

Hayd350

This has just flagged up on a us based 350 news feed. Are uk cars not equipped with it?

There's an additional pressure monitor on the central gauge cluster on the us cars, it's a nice touch that gives you the pressure on each tyre.

I never have a 50 pence piece for the machine when i need one.

Not required on UK cars at the time, no.

Tbh it's just another one of those things that makes people reliant on tech rather than actually checking the obvious like they should. I believe the tyre pressures should be checked weekly, but no-one actually ever does that so once a month is (usually) fine. That's what I do on mine, and it has TPMS which is completely unreliable and I wish didn't exist as it makes me panic when there's nothing to panic about when it goes BONG :lol:

35 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Not required on UK cars at the time, no.

Tbh it's just another one of those things that makes people reliant on tech rather than actually checking the obvious like they should. I believe the tyre pressures should be checked weekly, but no-one actually ever does that so once a month is (usually) fine. That's what I do on mine, and it has TPMS which is completely unreliable and I wish didn't exist as it makes me panic when there's nothing to panic about when it goes BONG :lol:

Yeah that's a fair point, i had it on my cooper S and they're on run flats so it beebed pretty much every time i got in it.

I don't check them anywhere near as much as i should but I'm hitting the road for the my European tour tomorrow so i'll go through the routine pre flight checks in the morning. Part of my wanted to find something new and undiscovered.

The problem with TPMS is the increased risk of damaging the valve when changing tyres, which can be quite expensive. The older BMW system monitored the height of the vehicle. so a constant drop in ride height would flag up as a flat tyre, making it annoying when you have a boot full of stuff.  

Mine works (well, "works") by sensing the difference in the rolling radius, same as the TCS systems. The theory being that when you have a flat tyre it changes the radius, so it knows when you have an issue. 

Its crap. 

• Like 1