Engine CEL with decats question.

Creg

Hey all.

I'm currently running Cobra decats on a 2006 350z. I've had them for around year and a half with no problems at all, but the other day driving home from Bristol to Luton area, my Engine light came on. The light was solid (Not flashing) and I ended up driving around 120 miles with it, the car sounded and performed completely normal the whole drive home.

Managed to get it hooked up to a diagnostics machine and it was coming up (this is where i'm going to be real vague as I didn't get the codes for the fault, sorry :( ) something along the lines of a faulty 02/ lambda sensor (rear sensors I believe). The decats were fitted and subsiquently mapped by H-dev so I don't think it would throw up the fault code, although I don't think the Cobra decats come with spacers and I didn't buy any at the time, not sure if this would affect anything? 

It also said something about my fueling being out (one side slightly different to the other?) and running lean, but again I'm fairly clueless with this stuff so I'm not sure what it really means.

So I was just wondering what are my options in regards to having the light off and keeping it off for good? Would it be worth replacing the sensors, buying spacers or getting it in for another map and having the light turned off for this particular fault? Could I try taking the sensors out of my old cats and using them? Not really sure what my options are/ the best thing to do would be.

Sorry I know this is real vague and some of the information may not be helpful but I figured I'd post just incase as pretty much everyone here will likely have a better idea of what might be the issue than I do.

Edited by Creg

Do you have the actual error codes? If it is the codes regarding the decats maybe H-Dev just forgot to turn the sensors off/maybe they didn't throw any errors at the time (I'm assuming from your post they were fitted at H-Dev the same day as the remap?). I know when my HFC were causing the EML to come on if I reset it then it stayed off for a day or two before coming on.

I don't have the codes unfortunately, hoping to have a reader tomorrow

so will be able to post them up with a bit of luck!

Yeah the decats got fitted the same time as the remap and I haven't done any mods since, I was thinking/ hoping that maybe what you mentioned would be the problem.

And yes again, I got the light reset on Friday and it has come back on today so I'm guessing it's gonna be a reoccurring thing until I get the codes to work out exactly what is going on :(

Managed to get a hold of a code reader, it come up with P2A03 - Air fuel sensor 1 (Bank 2).

Hopefully it's just a case of a faulty sensor and nothing too serious. Would swapping the front 2 sensors around and seeing if the code reappears but for Bank 1 determine if it's the sensor that's faulty?

• 10 months later...

Hi creg, did you ever resolve the issue? I’m currently getting the same error code. Mine has cobra high flow cats fitted and uprev tune done at tdi north. Shortly after I got the p2a03 sensor1 Bank 2 code 

Edited by Mr.szarvas