10 min headlight resto.

mr v6

The lamps on my Z have been bugging me since day 1, so I decided on a quick polish to see how they'd turn out & how long they'd last. I was tinkering with the idea of buying a kit, the 3M one, but after Googling '350Z headlight restoration' it lead me to a topic on the forum here, where many used Autosol. So armed with the stuff & 10 mins of my time I got the following, but quick results. I'll see how long it lasts then make a decision whether to redo it with Autosol or wet & dry them. The microfibre cloth went very yellow & dirty very quickly.

Before:

headlightrestore1.jpg

After: 

headlightrestore2.jpg

The pair together:

headlightrestore3.jpg

I did notice my o/s/f sidelight bulb flickering so I'll change that in the morning.

Edited by mr v6

I used these for the cleaning bit at least - came up a treat. The car had been treated when new with some sort of coating which has helped keep it looking mint all these years but the lights were almost yellow - now crystal clear after a couple of wipes.

Label sounds like they would strip anything off anything, but they are not that powerful so happy to use on the car (alloys, lights, plastics)

Will have a look at re-coating them now I have seen this

IMG_3257.JPG

Well yesterday morning, I gave them another helping of Autosol, then a finer Megs NXT metal polish, then 2 layers of Soft99 Fusso Coat light wax. Will see how they go, then perhaps wet n dry them at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Good result. Like others have said you will need to completely sand back until the residue you are removing during the sanding process is clear, this way you know you have removed all of the uv damage, work back up the grit levels and compound and polish to restore the sanding marks. Again like mentioned a ceramic coating aimed at uv blocking will be best to avoid its return.