Vented bonnet question

parello9

Does anyone know with the vented bonnets what they are like with rain and getting in the engine?

if the car is just sitting there and its hammering down im sure it cant be doing it any favours

or do they have like a splash shield etc?

i keep looking at a seibon vented for 370z but this is what puts me off 

I have a vented bonnet on my celica (comes as standard!) and no problems at all. Obviously a different car of course...I know Bradders on here put vents into his about a year ago, drop him a PM and see how he got on.

It'll be fine, it's not like you're submerging it or anything. You can open a bonnet and run a hose over it without issue (as long as you're not being deliberately stupid about it and aiming it at the fuses or battery!), so no problems running a vented cover. You'll get a dirtier engine bay quicker obviously, but that's about it.

The Celica GT4 bonnet vents have two variations, CS/RC/ST205 have a shield below them from the factory that diverts water off between rad and block. The air to air version has the intercooler below and the rain doesn't go up it unless the engine's on (and very hot). People remove and lose the CS/RC/ST205 and lose them with few ill effects. It just means you get additional corrosion.

It's not great to get more moisture under the bonnet at any time, especially if the designer hasn't considered where water might not drain from, but it's a case by case call. I wouldn't without some form of water deflector.