McLaren P1 LM sets Nürburgring lap record: The Preparations

wizard

It's not faster, but by all accounts it doesn't feel that much slower by much.

Having a conversation with some friends last night, and we all came to the same conclusion that the P1 has dated very, very quickly when compared with the LaFerrari and the 918. I mean it's still amazing, but doesn't look anywhere near as fresh as it did when it came out. The other two do.

Through some of the slow corners it seemed rather lazy to pick up speed (wrong gear?) and curious as to why it seemed to be limited to 6 gears (it has more, surely?) and on the long straight towards the end why was the driver using his right hand to seemingly hold the downshift paddle.

Altogether I suppose I was expecting more, albeit the time shows he was not hanging around :lol:

• Like 1

Lack of acceleration will be because of the bigger turbos so more lag (interestingly if you read recent drives that people have done with the standard P1, they've gone from "electric motors mean no lag at all" to "well, there still is a bit of lag there" so I suspect initial thoughts were clouded by excitement), although it's all going to be relative.

I think he was fiddling with brake bias or wing adjustment or cooling or simply holding something on that was about to fall off rather than grabbing the downshift paddle. Bearing in mind it's one big piece of metal, so you can achieve the same result by pushing the up paddle away from you should you wish. Interestingly the 720 has known to change gear back to the one you were in if you flick the paddle too quickly :lol:

Teh dude that owns it is a friend of a friend, dont know if the vid shows it but it was driven down there, did the lap, then driven back again. He was commenting on a FB thread, I loved the way it gets referred to as "the"  rather than "one of", whether thats preceded by "P1 LM" or "fastest car round the Ring" doesnt matter. 

And in the metal (carbon?) I still think its got the edge on the LaFez, it makes a 918 looks positively ordinary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ekona said:

but doesn't look anywhere near as fresh as it did when it came out. The other two do.

The Porsche looks as dull as it did the day it came out, i guess it must look different through the Porsche fanboi rose coloured specs though ;) 

I dunno, Ive seen 2 P1's in the last 6 months and I nearly fell over both times, they look like something from another planet.
I walked past a 918 at LM and barely noticed it and while the La Fez is beautiful, I accused one of being a 488 the other day :blush:

Not as bad as the tiem I accused an F40LM of being an MR2 rep to the owner, but still :lol:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, docwra said:

I dunno, Ive seen 2 P1's in the last 6 months and I nearly fell over both times, they look like something from another planet.
I walked past a 918 at LM and barely noticed it and while the La Fez is beautiful, I accused one of being a 488 the other day :blush:

Not as bad as the tiem I accused an F40LM of being an MR2 rep to the owner, but still :lol:

I bet that went down well :lol:

The La Ferrari has grown on me, there were a couple at Ferrari Egham when i went up with a mate and had a chance to have a real good look around, much more special in the flesh, i guess its just Porsches way to keep churning out unimaginative designs, i bet the designers were reaching for the original Carrera GT blueprints, started from there and were done by lunch :yawn:

15 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

I bet that went down well :lol:

Post on another board following Le Mans 2007 (Jaysus Im old) :headhurt:

But the best had to be on Friday in Arnage, where all the nice cars go pose in the afternoon. We are strolling down the main drag, and having just seen an F40, spot another and go over to have a closer look. Noticed immediately that this car is a bit different - the intercoolers, lights, exhaust and even the bodywork and colour are different. I confirm this with Yakko, then I notice a bloke wander over to it with the keys in his hand. Conversation goes like this:

Doc: "Alright mate, your car is it??"
Bloke: "Yeah it is, what do you reckon??"
D: "Well, its very nice, but we noticed the lights, intercoolers and stuff are different from an F40. What is it - an MR2 conversion or something? Go on, admit it!!??"
B: "Errm, well its actually an F40LM special edition"

Yep, I had just accused the bloke with probably the best example of an F40 ANYWHERE* of having an MR2. wack.gif
Fortunately he was a top feller - stood and spoke to us for about 3/4 hour about this and his other cars (he actually named his son after one of his Porsches) and then let said 8 year old jump in and fire the fezza up for us and the assembled crowd. Which was cool. 

* The car was an F40 LM, of which only 17 were made - see 
here for details. This particular one had just come back from a full mechanical overhaul at the factory, and must have been around the £500K mark. eek.gif Definitely not an MR2. wack.gif

For added lols, I heard one sold for $3.3m. In 2015.
:blush: :blush::blush:

An on topic question given the hyper car hybrid content, i appreciate thats a pretty special lap, but given the hype (and cost) surrounding these being the "future" of super/hyper cars and breaking the 7 min lap seemed the holy grail, is it really all that when you can buy one of 2 Lamborghini's that lap the ring in under 7 minutes, compared to the only documented time from the 918 of 6.57, the Hurucan is 5 secs quicker and Aventador 2 secs slower which lets face it at around a 7 min lap is neither here nor there between all of them, even the Nismo GTR was only 10 secs off the Porsche.