FTL Communications FTMFW

-G-

I genuinely thought this kind of scientific breakthrough was decades away but it appears not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-40573621/first-object-teleported-to-earth-s-orbit

QE (Quantum Entanglement) has so many possible applications, but to illustrate one popularised use in SF media - Light and radio waves have limited use in interstellar communications due to the limit imposed upon the speeds they travel at, but QE particles change state instantaneously. That means with a binary array, you could transmit video, audio or data across the entire length of the universe in real time. Faster than Light Communication. This could provide a real-life test of the causality element of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

Truly a groundbreaking achievement for Science!

Yeah I ignored the poor journalism espousing teleportation. Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon does a better job of explaining the "teleportation" aspect of FTL Comms. Needless to say, we won't be doing any beam me up Scotty nonesense.

I'm not comfortable with QE particles. I'm pretending they don't exist. I mean, what if I've got a load inside me and there's corresponding ones on the other side the universe and some being is slowly making its way towards them to muck them about :scare:

Haha I wouldn't worry about that Stu, to create QE you need a particle smasher like the LHC or similar.

Particles are "birthed" in atomic explosions and their partners isolated. 

So unless your mum was at least 2/3rds Large Hadron, you're safe!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, -G- said:

Haha I wouldn't worry about that Stu, to create QE you need a particle smasher like the LHC or similar.

insert "My Ex had a tunnel like the LHC.... AYOOO!!!" joke....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -G- said:

Maybe on Planet Earth but what about on Planter Farqarr Bulungus?

On 7/12/2017 at 22:52, SuperStu said:

Interstellar note paper. You write it on your desk notepad on earth and it appears instantaneously 50 light years away on another one.

So that's how the Aliens built all those Pyramids and temples etc it was an ET bricklaying class gone wrong :)