Sorry for another oil thread. I'm desperate!

Mik Du

Forgive me for posting another oil question, I've searched the forum and there is a wealth of info on here regarding oil but none that answer my specific question which is: Do I need oil? 

I'm a new owner and I'm only used to having cars with functional dipsticks. It's in a crappy awkward place yes but I just need some advice from you veterans/experienced owners about my readings.

Firstly im using fully synthetic 5-30 which is what seems mostly suggested on here although I am on 115k miles so should I change? 

Second how the EFFING hell are you supposed to read it? I took one reading below when the engine was 48hrs cold (red text) as you can see there is barely anything on the stick. And it's different both sides. Labelled front (FR) as this has the H&L marks, and back (BK) as they even give different readings. I'd say theres no oil in it looking at the FR pic (there is) . _20170711_212047.thumb.JPG.14ea90475c6174082dc9dc3f861f4ad1.JPG

The next pic (blue txt) I took 15mins after running and there is oil over the stick.

_20170711_211018.thumb.JPG.6bd86027e7121e8cad1067fd6dc881d4.JPG

The oil psi idles at a bit below 30 and is pretty consistently 60 under reasonable load. Also we have oil lights (I checked it works) surely that would come on if it was too low? I need to drive it to work tomorrow but I'll take oil with me incase you guys are screaming put oil in NOW. I just need some newbie help. Please, PLEASE. 

You're very low on oil. Put a litre in and check again once it's settled.

Read the side with the H&L markers when cold. You are looking for a very apparent film of oil, not random splodges where it's caught the side on the way out.

Edited by OnlyAfro

10 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

You're very low on oil.

Read the side with the H&L markers when cold. You are looking for a very apparent film of oil, not random splodges where it's caught the side on the way out.

Thank you. I'll top up before I go anywhere tomorrow.  What about the oil light, at what point does that come on?

I could well be wrong, but isn't the oil light for oil pressure, not level?

Park somewhere flat overnight, check before staring up, if there's none on the stick, you're far too low. Do what Shezza says and drop the lot out and put in the specified capacity.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I've just stuck a ltr in and given it 15mins, and yea,  I've got reading in the range. I'll check it again in morning when it's properly settled and top up a bit more if necessary. I'll probably get a great night's sleep now worrying about how it was so low in the first place... :scare:

Sounds like you have a consumer or a leak if it got that low, check it every few days.

I'd get a full change done, then monitor closely every other day and see how much is 'lost' over xx miles.

As said before, oil light is pressure not level. If you see it, then often it's too late and damage has been done.

I had a leaky sandwich plate for quite sometime that required regualr topping up (brakeing when the oil level is low would often cause the light to pop on) certainly no engine damage but wouldn't choose to let it run low deliberatly! All seems fine now 1-2 months and oil pressure is constant across the working range :)

Hey ya - glad you seem to be sorted - this should give you a bit of a chuckle after your initial stress. I'm following in your footsteps a little, picked my Zed up on the Sunday just gone and after a couple of work journeys had similar concerns I'd noticed what the pressures were doing. No issue with mine actually, because I read some topics on this forum and realised she's behaving quite normally BUT .. I figured I'd look at this dipstick reading issue anyway and check my oil level.

I get it, it's confusing right? But again - this thread helped me so loving this forum! Mine was on the low side, but covered the "L" so not as low as yours was. Topped up a bit for good measure will read again at weekend. All good so far right?

Until it came to replacing the dipstick. I took it out, didnt really take much notice of WHERE it came out from!! My old classic car dipstick went in around the bottom of the engine, pretty much just straight into the sump and without really thinking much I was looking around the lower end of my Zed engine, with my phone flashlight for at least 5 minutes to figure out where to put it back!! I even checked this forum with no luck..

When I finally noticed the bleedin obvious dipstick hole and where it is,..... Doh.. 

:headhurt:

But what a joy to drive eh?... Best drive to work I have had in years that's for sure.

It's fantastic, I go the long way everywhere and to hell with the fuel cost! Haha.

I've topped oil up to H on account of these cars getting through a fair bit. I've zero'd my trip and will see how much I've gone through at 1k. Keeping a regular check of it in between to make sure of no disasters. 

_20170713_102015.thumb.JPG.11f6d01f9c6973b1fdc7603c6e087d38.JPG

Assuming oil consumption is manageable I'll drop the lot and put something decent in.

Scratching up the measure range on the dipstick with rough sandpaper really helps the oil grip to get a proper reading. Just make sure you get rid of all filings properly before putting it back in. I've had the dipstick in and out about 20 times the last 2 days so I can thread it almost every 3rd attempt now. 

• Like 1

Don't worry, soon you will be finding the hole in the dark one handed :p

I'd be checking it every 2 days, or 100 miles. I think the L to H is about 1.5l 

Start at H and check every 100 till you get to L that should let you work out how much you use. They use a little more if driving with gusto ;) 

• Like 2