Problem with draining battery

PPod

So my battery is totally flat, got it jumped then about 1hr later it drops down to under 12v resulting in not being able to start it again. So there's something drawing the battery but can't find what it is.(got the battery checked at halfords and it shows its fine just draining). I have taken the boot light out,turned all indoor lights off,headlights off and radio off but it's still draining. What else can it be ?  

Also when I left the car on the coolant basically overflowed spattering everywhere and engine temp went in the red could this be not enough power getting to the fans also ? 

Still the Bose stereo

My ac fan is working but I had the car sit for a good 40mins with temp dial in the middle like normal but the other fan never spun in that time. 

9 minutes ago, Ekona said:

You need new fans :thumbs: Mishimoto would be my choice.

No tracker?

Yeah might just bite the bullet and get those fans since torqen has them on sale. 

8 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

To identify your draw, connect a multimeter to the battery and starting pulling fuses one at a time until the voltage stops dropping, at  least then you'll know which component is the issue

I do have a multi meter so will try that just now.

Only thing I have changed electronically was my headlights so wonder if that has anything to do with it. 

Never sure if my fans work as I've an extra oil cooler, hmmmm!

Do your belts sqeak on start up?

Is your battery actually draining or is it not charging? Only takes a handful of starts to use enough of a fully charged battery to stop you starting again.

1 hour ago, MDMetal said:

Never sure if my fans work as I've an extra oil cooler, hmmmm!

Do your belts sqeak on start up?

Is your battery actually draining or is it not charging? Only takes a handful of starts to use enough of a fully charged battery to stop you starting again.

Belts use to sqeak but now since changed they don't. 

So when I jump start it then turn it off I can maybe start it about 3 times before the voltage becomes 9volts and unable to get it to start. Very annoying and don't have the time to figure out what's draining it. Ordered up a new fan today anyway 

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Sounds to me like it's not actually charging properly. Have you tried taking it for a proper run, or are you sitting there on the drive stopping and starting it?

When it first happened I was booked in for my service and I jumped it. Done a 50minute drive to the place they done the service then I picked it up and it started fine. Drove back parked it up in drive then on that night tried to start it but was down at 9volts.  Now I have just been keeping it in the drive due to the overheating problem. 

Edited by PPod

Sounds to me as if the battery is kaput anway. 9v = 1.5v per cell which in turn means sulfation is taking place on the plates in the cells.  There's little chance of the battery recovering from that.  I suspect the battery was weak and the lack of regular use has finished it off.  Deep discharging a weak battery is not a good thing and that's possibly what has occured here.  Get it started again and put a meter across tthe battery to see what the charging voltage is.  At least you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, glrnet said:

How long have you not been using it properly because of the overheating problem?

Coming up for two weeks now. It sits in my drive unused for about 8 days since I work away then I come back and it gets used as often as I can for 4-5 days. 

9 hours ago, Ekona said:

Agreed, that battery is now knackered so replace it.

But sort the fans ASAP.

Got my new fans off torqen today and me and my dad had a go at trying to changed them but our hands are to big for squeezing in and unclipping the last clip so had to give up :(    Buuuuut I then jumped the car again after placing everything back and the fans are now both working after I gave it a 30min run bloody unbelievable haha. But I still suspect when I go out and try starting it will probably be dead again.