Bubbling paint behind mirrors. (warranty repair)

pistonbroke

Just recently I've noticed paint bubbling behind where the wing mirrors mount to the doors. It's probably been there ages but I've only just seen it. The main reason for my post is to let you guys know, that Nissan have agreed to repair it under the corrosion warranty. My car is an 09 plate so it's coming up to the end of the corrosion warranty and they still agreed it without quibble. I've searched the net and found several people with this problem, even on older 350s. The place I took mine to is Grove autos in Beckenham as they're an approved Nissan warranty repair place. 

Get checking those doors people. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this, and you'd be mad to miss out on a possible free repair. 

• Like 1

I have exactly the same issue with my passenger door, mine is a "59" plate. Would you mind giving me your registration number that I can quote Nissan with, just -incase they try fobbing me off, if I send you a PM?  I've attached a photo of mine.

rust new.jpg

That's the same as mine mate. I went to Nissan initially and they didn't even look at the car. They sent me straight to Grove autos who are their approved warranty repairers. They then took pictures of the issue and went direct to Nissan themselves. They then got back to me to confirm that they will do the work under warranty. Nissan dealers themselves have had nothing to do with it. If you're not in the south east, I'd  suggest you ask your local Nissan dealer who their approved repairer is and go there.  

You must have full Nissan history, and not have had any repairs on the doors in the past. They measure the paint depth to see if it's been painted. 

Edited by pistonbroke

• 3 months later...

Well I'm gutted and very dissapointed to report that Nissan HQ have rejected my warranty claim for the rust bubble under the wing mirror and bottom of the door!  I have tried twice, first with Westway Coventry and secondly with Bristol Street Northampton.  Must admit both dealers have been pretty useless with no feedback so had to keep chasing and chasing to be finally told it's been rejected with no reason?!.....and this came from the warranty manager @ Bristol street. Of course there would be a reason!....they wouldn't just say no with explanation, but she was adament there was no reason. Unbeliveable!:rant:

Yes, I have just rang Nissan HQ and they rang the dealer while i was on hold, they're saying it's not covered under the anti-perforation warranty.  I said it must be, it's bubbling from the inside out, that's not a paint defect that's corrosion. They have raised a case to investigate and will call me back early next week.  I still think they're going to fob me off. 

Maybe they will, but I would still push them to give you an official letter detailing the technical reason behind the warranty refusal. Put the ball in their court, if it's reasonable then fair enough but if not and you you can get a second opinion (preferably from whatever third party bodyshop they use!) then you're laughing.

I've got a similar door issue. lower down at the bottom of the door though.

Repair shop is a Nissan approved one and came recommended by one the best garages in the area on this forum and I was told by both it should be a warranty repair.

Similarly it all falls apart when it comes to Nissan with:
1)    Dealer rejected for same reason. After being really slow and taking a few months for a simple inspection piece of work!
Body shop is following up as they advise me they don't agree with that....
2)    Build quality. - rust appearing after 6 years!

About 2), I had this concern when first getting the car. I thought that the chassis and engine bay area looked older than it should for it's time. My efforts at keeping it clean seems to have kept that under control.
I couldn't understand it from a car of that age and not being living ocean facing and finally I thought it must be caused by the salt on the road..... but now I believe it's more of a material and build problem.

Guess while mine's in progress I'll try keep an eye on this one as it's gotta be dealt with.

Edited by chips

Have you got a photo of the corrosion on your door you can post up?.....your claim sounds  pretty identical to mine. Ironically the dealer didn't even look at my car, just sent me straight to their approved body shop and the chap there said straight away it's corrosion from the inside out.

As expected, Nissan warranty have rejected my claim, saying it's a paint defect not corrosion. The trouble is you can't actually get to talk to someone from their warranty department, just some call centre robot who is incredibly sympathetic but can't take it any further!

I can't be bothered anymore I've been trying for months and not got anywhere, have to admit defeat on this one. The swines!!

FFS write them a proper letter, and get them to state their reasons WHY they believe it's a paint defect and not corrosion. Make it clear that you require their response as it will form part of your legal defense. Then you go and get a report from the body shop (the one they use if possible) and see what they say, and then you take an educated call on whether to progress it legally. Why would you give up so easily??

yeah, my pics look v similar to yours.
pics are of outside and inside.
I made sure to let them know that if the pics don't make it easy to assess and perhaps to make an assessment based on them.(mobile phone pics on a black car under dull or flash) I made sure the offer of bringing it in to view first hand was available.

Repair shop says over the months they needed to repeatedly ask Nissan about the situation.

Body shop have now told me I need to go direct to Nissan to continue with it.

IMG20170818153052.jpg

IMG20170818153026.jpg

Yeah, I'd say yours was bubbling from the inside out too. Nissan have been absolute B***ads! I had a 2004 350z before the 370 and that didn't have any rust appearing on that and that was an older car. Here's a pic of the bottom of my passenger door. Westway thought it was caused by a chip and left un-treated but i have other chips on the car and none have done this.

rust.jpg

rust2.jpg

Nissan don,t seem to be getting a good name just now,even in america as someone I know,over there has a nismo and decided the car was not handling right,nissan could not find anything wrong,he likes his car and was deciding to lower the car and was just going to change the springs,but decided to go with shocks as well to sort out handling and guess what on removal of front suspension ,the dreaded rubber transport packers!!!

What is it with nissan??????:wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 01:00, Justthejedi said:

They have been absolute swines about this. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Motortrade Ombudsman.:yawn:

That's not good.

If it helps at any stage feel free to let them know you're not alone with this problem and send them my way or pass my details on.

Thinking it could help to show it's not a 1 off.
Also at the moment I'm not able to follow up on my recent efforts with this problem but I will resume this one when I can.

I've been concerned with this happening since I've had the car so was not surprised.
Reason being is always after washing it while taking the windows up/down the dry window while up when brought down and back up again will be wet.
I figured this means there's water collecting inside the closed door with the windows fully up.
I did ask somewhere that knows this type of car due to that concern having water inside the door would lead to this and was told it's normal.

In the meantime. have given it a good wash and covered the areas with acf50!

Actually I think probably a plan would be to go to Grove Autos. I was referred to another approved repair shop in close by to them who used my mobile pics I showed here.

Sounds like Grove know the way to get it done and have the experience in dealing with Nissan.

7 hours ago, chips said:

That's not good.

If it helps at any stage feel free to let them know you're not alone with this problem and send them my way or pass my details on.

Thinking it could help to show it's not a 1 off.
Also at the moment I'm not able to follow up on my recent efforts with this problem but I will resume this one when I can.

I've been concerned with this happening since I've had the car so was not surprised.
Reason being is always after washing it while taking the windows up/down the dry window while up when brought down and back up again will be wet.
I figured this means there's water collecting inside the closed door with the windows fully up.
I did ask somewhere that knows this type of car due to that concern having water inside the door would lead to this and was told it's normal.

In the meantime. have given it a good wash and covered the areas with acf50!

I've not had that problem with mine to be honest, just the usual steaming up on a wet day when you get back in the car. Do you think that's why yours has bubbled up from the inside out at the bottom of the door?....they can't say it's a chip as these cars are magnets to chips and none have bubbled up anywhere else.  Sounds like Grove autos have a good relationship with Nissan so they get things done.

• 5 months later...

Quick update......the ombudsman think I have a case so have asked Nissan to send an engineer to inspect my car. Meeting him tomorrow morning @ Westway Nissan Coventry.   Finally getting somewhere, fingers crossed he agrees with me.