Car dies after start up unless I blip the throttle

Rob350

Alright guys,

I changed the spark plugs yesterday, it was fine all day yesterday for three start ups and drives perfectly fine no problem.

Come to start it today, the revs went up like normal and instead of resting at idle it went straight past and died, didn't struggle or anything, just straight to zero and died.

I started it again and just touched the throttle a bit and it stopped at idle like normal, its done this three times again today.

Iv checked and double checked under the bonnet for vacume lines and air intake being put back correctly and everything is good.

If been reading up on other people's similar problem, people were suggesting throttle relearn and idle relearn, maybe fuel pump but I doubt it... crank position sensor, knock sensor, maf sensor, I didn't touch the throttle body flap or maf sensor though I made sure I was extra careful to avoid them.

Any similar experience would help or ways of solving..  I'm tempted to do a throttle and idle relearn but Iv also read people having trouble after they've done these sometimes. 

I'm all booked to got the ring in 3weeks so don't want to make it any worse, I can live with having to blip the throttle every time i start the car untill I come back I just don't want it to get worse and not be able to idle at all or somthing.

Advice needed please fellas

Cheers

Rob

Just took everything off again apart from removing the coils and sparks, and put everything back again to quadruple check and its no different...

One thing I did notice,  when I removed the air intake off the throttle body the very 1st time to change the sparks... about an inch and half width of the intake tube was creased over on the bottom the tube, possibly not making a perfect seal. It must have been like this since I bought the car as I've never removed untill now.

Is there a chance the car could have gotten used to this slight leak and tought itself over time to idle ok?? And now I've put it back properly with a good seal it needs to learn the new idle possibly?????

Also now 40% of the time I put my clutch in to come to a stop it drops to like 300rpm then goes back to 700ish. It's confusing because it ran perfectly fine before I changed the sparks :wacko: only difference is the old plugs were bosch with a .35 gap and I put new ngk iridium in which have a .44 gap.

So I'm thinking next thing to do is maybe idle relearn and possibly throttle relearn???

@Ekona I didn't... I pulled the old plugs out which were bosch and replaced with ngk irridiums from Horsham, before I threw the bosches away I thought I'd see what the gap was just out of interest, it was about .35, I googled what the ngk irridiums gap was and Google said .44

Edited by Rob350

Cool, just wondering.

Tbh if you're sure the intake is 100% and you've done the various TB reset procedures (which you need to do next), then you're going to have to pull the plugs and refit. They're the only other thing you've touched, so logical to believe that it's them at fault.

Thanks for the replies @Ekona I appreciate this massively...

I havnt done any resets as yet.. iv googled the procedures and found 3 ever so slightly different versions, some say wait 7 secs, some say wait 10 secs or 20, some have added an extra turn your ignition off and on again...

Is there one that you 100% know is correct???

Also I diddnt think I'd have to do any resets as Iv not touched the maf or throttle butterfly???

But before I do the butterfly reset maybe I should clean it 1st??? there was abit of blackness build up around it... but I've read horror stories of people moving the butterfly to clean then doing the resets and having all sorts of wild idle issues and stalling so I'm pretty put off cleaning it tbh..

I agree, you shouldn't have to reset anything however it's a quicker solution than pulling the plugs again, so I'd do that first. Use the guide on here rather than anywhere else, members have found that to work without complaint.

I wouldn't touch the butterfly for cleaning just yet, no need to add another variable into the mix.

21 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I agree, you shouldn't have to reset anything however it's a quicker solution than pulling the plugs again, so I'd do that first. Use the guide on here rather than anywhere else, members have found that to work without complaint.

I wouldn't touch the butterfly for cleaning just yet, no need to add another variable into the mix.

this one ????

No time like the present eyyy... I'll let you know how it goes, fingers crossed

No joy... :thumbdown:

Accelerator pedal relearn worked and throttle closed worked, but idle reset didn't, must have done it 30 times with a stop watch. Then done the 1st 2 resests again and tried the idle relearn again 10times and nothing... the cel light doesn't even start blinking after pressing the accelerator hard 5 times, its a pain in the ringo.

But after playing with it for a while I think its only not holding the idle instantly after warm starts only, on cold starts it seems to hold without bliping the throttle. 

Iv been doing more reading and theres a lot of American people have had a similar issue after disconnecting their battery for a few hours or more like I did, they claimed it relearnt itself after a week or two. So maybe I'll live with it for a while and see if it gets better or worse.. 

21 hours ago, Rob350 said:

No joy... :thumbdown:

Accelerator pedal relearn worked and throttle closed worked, but idle reset didn't, must have done it 30 times with a stop watch. Then done the 1st 2 resests again and tried the idle relearn again 10times and nothing... the cel light doesn't even start blinking after pressing the accelerator hard 5 times, its a pain in the ringo.

But after playing with it for a while I think its only not holding the idle instantly after warm starts only, on cold starts it seems to hold without bliping the throttle. 

Iv been doing more reading and theres a lot of American people have had a similar issue after disconnecting their battery for a few hours or more like I did, they claimed it relearnt itself after a week or two. So maybe I'll live with it for a while and see if it gets better or worse.. 

Mine does this too! Doesn't always stall but revs drop very low after a warm start unless you blip the throttle. Not tried any resets or anything like that yet, I've just got used to blipping it a bit when starting it warm.

How long has yours been doing it for? Like I say aparently it sorts itself out after a few weeks. But iv also read crank piston sensors on their way out if the revs keep dropping, evenly itl stall when you put the clutch in to stop at lights.

Mines probably been doing it for 3 months or so. I have had to change a cam position sensor, and also a rear lambda sensor since I've had the car (about a year) but I can't really tie-in when it started doing it to me doing any work on the car. I also changed the plugs as part of a full service/fluid change just after I bought the car but that was a good few months before it started doing the low warm idle thing!

• 5 years later...
On 10/07/2017 at 12:10, 350_Jer said:

Mine does this too! Doesn't always stall but revs drop very low after a warm start unless you blip the throttle. Not tried any resets or anything like that yet, I've just got used to blipping it a bit when starting it warm.

@350_Jer Did you every find root cause or resolve this issue??

I recently purchased a 2008 Nismo (in the States) and am having identical symptoms.