370z Auto

Shep1982

Hi, Will be getting a 370 in March/April next year. Now I've always had manual cars but I'm swinging to the 7 speed auto with paddle shifts. I have only had a few goes in normal autos. This is going to seem really stupid but I have a few questions. In paddle shift mode if you forget to downshift with breaking will it do it for you? Are the shifts speeds different between manual and drive mode.! Magazine's keep saying manual is really fast which seems to portray regular drive as slow? I also heard that you can leave in drive but also use the paddles and it switches to manual so you can down shift etc. If this is the case does it go back to drive after or does it stay in manual. I'm thinking to stay in drive and just use paddles when wanting to drop a few gears. But if in manual mode It lowers the gears when breaking then might aswell stay in manual and have more control. Sorry for stupid questions but I've always driven a manual so have not much knowledge of auto with paddles shifts lmao

Hi Shep, first and foremost I'd say test drive one before you buy. The 370 uses a single clutch auto and is quite slow changing compared to most of the double clutch auto cars nowadays. 

To answer your questions, yes it will change down automatically even in manual if your speed drops too low for the gear you are in. It doesn't 'shift' to manual if you use the paddles whilst in auto, you can change gear manually using the paddles and then after a few seconds it reverts back to auto, if that makes sense. I don't think the shift times are different in manual to auto (but I could be wrong). I found mine to be a bit lethargic so had the gear change map tweaked which helped a little bit, but then installed a sprint booster which (for me) made a vast improvement and makes the car much nicer to drive. 

• Like 1

The 370z auto shifts slightly quicker than the manual on average , ie in a manual 1-2nd is fast but 2-3rd is slower . Yes as said it will shift down as you slow to prevent the car from stalling

As said a remap does help liven it up

Edited by Richf

Test drive one before you buy. 6 years ago i was looking to upgrade from my manual 350 to a 370. I was kindly given a brand new auto 370 from the local dealer to test out while my zed was in for some work. I covered 2000 miles in those two weeks heading to north wales for a wedding and doing the zed welsh weekend.

I have to say, i really did not like the auto box. Gear changes felt sluggish, they felt wrong at roundabouts and there was a big delay. I really did not like it. I bought a manual with the synchro rev matching and couldnt be happier, love it. 

However, a couple of years later i drove Adrians 370 which had been significantly modified. The gear changes were much more responsive and as the gear ratios were shorter (with the extra gear) the car felt much faster than my manual. it was a much nicer experience to a standard auto.

I'd still pick the manual though but Adrians car was a beast that put a big smile on my face.

Ultimately its horses for courses, some will love the auto, others not so do test one out

• Like 1

Adrians gearbox ended up in my old zed , I felt it was awful when in drive , in full manual it was ok if you like hard positive shifts all the time , but barely functioned as an conventional auto and was the reason I sold the car 

• Like 1

Cheers folks for your replies. I'm struggling on waiting to buy one. I'm now only 8 months away from my target money wise. That's 8 months too long and I'm getting impatient haha. I'll try both auto and manual. I've driven manuals all my life but after tracking a Lambo gallardo auto with paddle shift on a track day, I loved it. Single clutch as well,  so I was told and it was not too bad. Plus I'll be using the Z as a daily and traffic is a b%&£% in the morning so auto would be nice. Either way I'll try both :-) regarding mods,  after about 6 months of ownership I'll be looking to get an Ark grip exhaust, k&n filters and remap. For now though I just want a 370 :-) thanks again guys for your help, this site and members are awesome :-) 

• Like 1