How can we punish PhotoBucket

ATTAK Z

As thread title, how can we punish the bar stewards at PhotoBucket who have cocked everything up ? ... I know it's not as simple as ignoring them but I'd like to hurt them, really hurt them

• Like 2

It has caused no end of problems on the E type forum Hugh. Years of technical threads and originality guides with photos, not to mention people's restoration threads no longer available.

Get the masses dependent on a product for free and then charge a fortune for it! 

Interesting business model.

Alas Hugh we are of an age where these things frustrate us.

A good old fashioned scrapbook with your restoration photos in, viewed by close friends and fellow enthusiasts, that's the answer. :lol:

• Like 1

Unfortunately this whole thing will only work out well for one entity: Photobucket.

Think about it, they've had thousands of user remove all their pics from the site, which immediately cuts down on storage costs. No more linking either, so down comes the bandwidth bill. All they're left with is a group of people happy to pay ridiculous rates. The leech who was only using them for free pic storage has gone, and now they can be a much more profitable company. I doubt it's done much harm to their brand either, as those that can afford it will shrug their shoulders and insist it's the best tool for the job.

I totally get why they didn't want freeloaders, especially with ad blocking, but all they had to do was ask £2.99 a month and truck loads of uses would have stumped up and they'd have been quids in. :shrug:

• Like 2

I can only assume they ran the business model for that and it didn't work. Personally I reckon it was storage and bandwidth that they were trying to cut down on, and as long as they achieved that then they'd live with the fallout.

Definitely need an announcement on here that we no longer encourage members to use PB or other picture hosting sites, given pics can be loaded on here direct now - that advice updating previous methods on how to load pictures.

Also, that members may wish to consider whether they wish to reload on their threads pics hosted by PB who now charge for their service and also restrict access to those they deem have stored too much and now charge for use of their service. 

Those already affected will see this message where they have had pics or used them in their signatures:

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 10.14.45.png

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Unfortunately this whole thing will only work out well for one entity: Photobucket.

Think about it, they've had thousands of user remove all their pics from the site, which immediately cuts down on storage costs. No more linking either, so down comes the bandwidth bill. All they're left with is a group of people happy to pay ridiculous rates. The leech who was only using them for free pic storage has gone, and now they can be a much more profitable company. I doubt it's done much harm to their brand either, as those that can afford it will shrug their shoulders and insist it's the best tool for the job.

I doubt it will really , most of their income came from advertising , and advertisers pay depending on the amount of users and therefore exposure they get . Its a viable business model and how most other companies work ie Imgur, Google, Facebook,etc Facebook makes $1billion per quarter in advertising alone  

I'm expecting someone else will come along shortly and offer a free service based on the old model, there was no point offering the same as the market leader before

I really dont understand the decision unless PB really think that take up will make them more money than the adverts did , which i doubt

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kev said:

For some reason my photo bucket pics haven't disappeared?

I use the old iPad app. 

1*YdIhVGzbZ-offsWa0IpQlQ.jpeg

It'll take them a couple of weeks to work their way though the millions of users. I got done on Friday last week, a few people I know got done yesterday.You won't have to wait forever :lol:

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 1

You're all mad for still using potato bucket until now, it turned into an advert ridden cess pool long ago!  While you're sorting out your pictures, change your email away from btinternet to something not linked to your current internet provider e.g. gmail, use Chrome or Firefox instead of IE, use uBlock Origin to block internet ads, stop using shitty Norton/McAfee and use something like Bitdefender, run frequent Malware Bytes scans, never give someone remote access to your pc no matter how convincing they sound on the phone, use VLC media player instead of widows media player crap, notepad++ is a superior alternative to notepad, GIMP is a poor mans Photoshop, bt home hubs are spawned by Satan... All that comes to mind right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Husky said:

You're all mad for still using potato bucket until now, it turned into an advert ridden cess pool long ago!  While you're sorting out your pictures, change your email away from btinternet to something not linked to your current internet provider e.g. gmail, use Chrome or Firefox instead of IE, use uBlock Origin to block internet ads, stop using shitty Norton/McAfee and use something like Bitdefender, run frequent Malware Bytes scans, never give someone remote access to your pc no matter how convincing they sound on the phone, use VLC media player instead of widows media player crap, notepad++ is a superior alternative to notepad, GIMP is a poor mans Photoshop, bt home hubs are spawned by Satan... All that comes to mind right now.

You missed delete your Facebook account ;)

• Like 1