Straight through... my fuel tank..

4K1R4-350Z

Hey guys...

So.. trying to get those blasted y pipe/mid pipe bolts off didn't only waste 3 hours of my time but a lot more than I was expecting.. 

Had her up on axle stands, needed a bit more room underneath so tried to Jack her up enough to go a pin higher on the stands and the Jack has buckled, car has fallen sideways leaving the axle stand trying to hold the car up from the INSIDE of the petrol tank.. 

So as currently I'm watching approx 40 litres of petty flow from my car at a ridiculous rate I thought I'd see if anyone knows anyone who has a tank for sale?? Or if it's possible to repair them??

All I wanted was to make my exhaust a lil bit louder.. shoulda know it wouldn't have been as easy as I thought!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Thanks man.

Yea I've been looking through the service manual and either way it's a little terrifying.. if I do it myself I'll probably be way in over my head & if I give it to a shop then the Labour could put me in over my head too..! 

We'll see how brave I feel when replacement is delivered!

Big thanks to ZMANALEX for hooking me up so quickly! :thumbs:

Removing the fuel tank is not a particularly hard job as such but it is a big job, you have to remove a lot of stuff to get it out, I have done it but I had the whole rear suspension out and even then there are a load of pipes and connectors at the top of the tank that need removing, when they are off the tank is actually only held in by the 2 bolts that secure the straps that run round the bottom of the fuel tank, it's the getting to them and the amount of bit's you need to take off to have enough space to drop the tank, I did it on axle stands though :thumbs:

Good luck mate :)

• Like 1

Was using Halfords axle stands which are still looking 100% despite the drop, not bad for a tenner on dad's day special offer..

The Jack on the other hand was a little trolley Jack, it's far from new but I have used it numerous times to lift the Zed without issue but on this occasion, maybe due to an uneven surface, it just buckled and kinda folded in half.. something like this generic pic i just found online..

ae235.jpg

That's unfortunate mate, sorry to hear it. I stopped using those type of jacks earlier this year & bought an Arcan 2T one from Costco, 5 pumps on the handle & the thing is at it's highest lift:#1:. More of a reason never to get under any car without jack stands & just rely on a small jack, not worth it.

Thanks mate - sounds like a bit of a beast! Yea I mean I had the stands and was just aiming to get them a level higher when it went.. I don't think I'll be doing anything else myself anytime soon, not a cheap mistake after the new tank and a the best part of day at the garage.. :wacko: learn from ya mistakes n all that ey.. 

Edited by 4K1R4-350Z

It's a lesson for all, don't use cheap little jacks - it's worth spending some money on one, and even then don't ever use them without axle stands.

I'm not saying that a more expensive one wouldn't have done the same thing if the angle of it caused it to buckle.

The 350z is a heavy car, it's not worth risking causing damage to it - or potentially something fatal to yourself :/

Hopefully it's not too much of a problem getting your tank sorted.

UPDATE 

So, after getting some astronomical quotes from garages for the fuel tank switch (up to a grand!?!?!) I decided to give a mate of mine a call and he was up for the job, he called in another friend and got to work!

2 hours 10 mins later I fired her up (with the new Cobra on I might add ;))!

The guys absolutely smashed it! Couldnt be more pleased beers are definitely on me tonight!! 

Almost all of the ridiculous quotes from garages were for for 6-8 hours labour.. just shows either how full of it some places are or how they drag out jobs to dive deeper into your wallet!

Now back on the road and sounding so much better than before!! Clip to follow tomorrow :D

Missed her so bad.. LOVE IT!! :yahoo:

• Like 3

Nice one. 

Quick note on labour....there were three of you. So technically that's 6 hours Labour. 

A garage would have been one bit except for a bit of the lifting ;)

Good to see people doing these things themselves though. 

Thanks :) well only 2 guys.. I wasn't going near it after I made the mess in the first place!! :headhurt:they did a stellar job regardless of the time that's all I really care about, saving a few hundred quid was just a bonus! :thumbs:

• Like 1