Spacer too large >.<

Good afternoon all! =) 

So I've just forked out to have new tyres fitted to new rims, but it seems that I've miscalculated offset somehow, and now that they are fit to the car, the rears are poking from the arches by about 1 to 2cm.

That's a problem isn't it?

I take it new spacers are a necessity? 

New tyres, new rims. I fit the spacers yesterday on standard Rays and they fit ok, I thought the new rear rims would pull in slightly due to different offset, but evidently I've ballsed something up and they've pushed out slightly. 

Edited by Guest

What width / offset are the new rims? As long as you need the rims to move in by less than the size of the spacer all you need is a smaller spacer or maybe remove it completely to move the rims back where you want them. 

Rays TE37, 18", 9.5 width, can't tell you offset as I clearly calculated it incorrectly and the gentleman I purchased these from wasn't sure =)

Should I be bothered with changing it?  Is a lot of effort unless it is going to negatively affect the car handling or tyre wear in some way, although I don't particularly like the way it looks either.

Okay, I'm not sure how you 'calculated' the offset... it's a measurement of the wheel so you either need to know the spec beforehand or measure it (which I don't think would be easy unless there's a good method that I don't know of).

Anyway, the potential downsides are tyre to arch contact and handling / ride and tyre wear issues due to dodgy geometry. I'd personally remove them which isn't difficult. I'd imagine that they're around 20mm, so if the rim is sticking out by around that much then you should be sorted (pretty sure you won't have brake / suspension clearance issues but of course be aware of that when you put the wheel back on).

Calculated as in measured and worked stuff out. Badly apparently, although the fronts were fine. 

Rear spacer is 30, so removing will pull the wheels back in too far I think. Guess I can post to see if anybody has a 10 or 15 to swap for a 30. Car isn't lowered at the moment so I'll probably not run into arch contact or clearance issues, but that's a good point. 

Going to replace front lower rear arms (banana) in next couple of weeks I think, I'll try and source a different set of spacers before then perhaps, and then get everything realigned after. 

I reckon start again before doing anything else. First off I'd take some pics and let us judge how excessive it is right now, and then take some pics of you measuring the offset, see if we can work out what went wrong. :)

Sorry for delay, after medicating the cat I decided to attempt to clean a car for the first time ever! 

Anyway, below are some pics, hopefully it gives you a good idea of how the wheels are.

First 4 images are rears, others are fronts =) 

20170710_211610.jpg

20170710_211620.jpg

20170710_211630.jpg

20170710_211747.jpg

20170710_211700.jpg

20170710_211724.jpg

I'd imagine given the spacer sizes that the front would sit 10 to 15mm inside the arches, and the rears maybe 10mm inside the arches. Spacers at the moment are either 20 or 25 front, and 30 rear. 

Ah I see, they should fit ok, they came off of a Z. I'll have a check on clearance later when it's not raining and post back my results =) Wish I knew what I did wrong when working out the offset, it's annoying me, I was almost certain I had it right or I'd not have ordered the spacers. 

30 min job mate, all you gotta do is remove spacer, bolt wheel on, get a straight edge and measure where the face comes to, then simply work out how much further out than that you want. Don't even have to bolt the wheel on fully, just a couple of bolts to get it sitting flat on the hub.