MOT failed

Kev

Kev, you're just complicating things and wasting money :) You're not willing to spend £70 more on the Nissan OEM W brace which by far better design than any replica, but you're willing to spend over £200 for the Nissan OEM banana arms just to make sure that garage can fit the parts?

Find another garage that knows what they're doing or do it yourself, a lot of money and hassle saved, you'll also learn more about your "Toyota" :lol:

22 minutes ago, Kev said:

Just contacted the garage to tell them I was ordering Nissan parts and wanted to confirm its definitley the banana arms and not the lower control arms. 

Response was....I'm not sure. Call Toyota they will know. Can you email us pics and I'll call you back tomorrow. :)

Unfortunately  I have a feeling the w brace might be beyond salvaging from their description. But then again they seem to think my car is a Toyota, so maybe not. 

I cant see they could pull you up if its freshly painted and shiny new dude!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Kev, you're just complicating things and wasting money :) You're not willing to spend £70 more on the Nissan OEM W brace which by far better design than any replica, but you're willing to spend over £200 for the Nissan OEM banana arms just to make sure that garage can fit the parts?

Find another garage that knows what they're doing or do it yourself, a lot of money and hassle saved, you'll also learn more about your "Toyota" :lol:

I thought the Nissan brace was inferior to the ultra racing one? Loads of people seem to swap judging by how long they are on back order. If the nissan part is better I'll go for that. But I thought they rust really quickly?

The garage who carried out the mot won't be doing the work. I just wanted to confirm what part to order. It's just described as "suspension arm" on the mot certificate. I've emailed them pics of both. I have a feeling it's the lower control arm after our last conversation, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. 

They are a Mitsubishi independent garage. So they are not familiar with Z's. I didn't even correct him when he said Toyota. He sounded like he'd had a long day. Tbf they have a good reputation locally and my uncle has used them for the last 8 years since our local Honda garage closed. He wouldn't use anyone else. 

Lockwood and greenwood will be changing them over and doing all my servicing from now on. 

I see your point, but I don't think I'm wasting money. I'd feel happier with the Nissan arms even if they are more expensive. I've read conflicting things about the ball joints on the others. I'm sure they're very good though. 

My reason for wanting the ultra racing brace wasn't to save money, it was because I thought it was the better part. If it isn't I'll order the oem one. 

I just want to get it all sorted ASAP TBH. 

24 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Kev, can you not go to the garage and check the W brace for yourself? If it's not rotten, no need to change it, as above.

The car is currently on my mums drive (I only have one parking space at home). 

Ill take a look tomorrow. 

Garage say it is "corroded and seriously weakened". 

I'm amazed someone over here hasn't done something similar to the ultra racing bracket. 

They look simple enough to manufacture and the demand is definitley there. 

Edited by Kev

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I'm amazed someone over here hasn't done something similar to the ultra racing bracket. 

They look simple enough manufacture and the and the demand is definitley there. 

Not sure how big the demand is for a replacement / replica brace. We sold over 100 x OEM W braces this year alone, 40 more pcs arriving tomorrow. The other traders are also selling lots of Nissan OEM braces, too. Nissan dealers also sell these directly, although a bit more expensive. 

Probably it doesn't matter too much for a normal car, but to me the airflow appears to be better on the OEM brace?

Also, if it lasted 12-15 years on your car, surely that's long enough considering the salt on the roads and the humidity here. Put some protection on it when you fit it and you should be fine for many, many more years.

15 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Not sure how big the demand is for a replacement / replica brace. We sold over 100 x OEM W braces this year alone, 40 more pcs arriving tomorrow. The other traders are also selling lots of Nissan OEM braces, too. Nissan dealers also sell these directly, although a bit more expensive. 

Probably it doesn't matter too much for a normal car, but to me the airflow appears to be better on the OEM brace?

Also, if it lasted 12-15 years on your car, surely that's long enough considering the salt on the roads and the humidity here. Put some protection on it when you fit it and you should be fine for many, many more years.

If it's the better part I'll definitley order one. I just had it in my head that the ultra racing one was a upgrade. 

Id rather fit the best parts available. That's why Ive decided to go with the Nissan arms. 

Just pi**ed of this has ruined my exhaust plans for the summer. 

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

If it's the better part I'll definitley order one. I just had it in my head that the ultra racing one was a upgrade. 

Id rather fit the best parts available. That's why Ive decided to go with the Nissan arms. 

Just pi**ed of this has ruined my exhaust plans for the summer. 

I'll PM you shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had Nissan arms fitted at Lockwood and greenwood. 

They Mot'd the car too. W brace is solid, not even an advisory. Glad i didn't go back to the original garage for a retest. 

Will stick with lockwod and greenwood from now on.