Forged Engine Reliability

Dom187

Hi gang, I was wondering people experiences with forged VQ'S. It would be great if anyone with a forged engine could say what went into their build and how many miles they had out of it? Also any detrimental effects they noticed over stock. 

My engine isn't forged in my Z but I have in the past built a few and run them for few years and over 20k miles in some cases with plenty of track work and hard use. What makes you think a forged engine would be less reliable?  For most the whole reason for building the engine is to gain strength and reliability.

I would say the biggest killer of engines forged or other wise is poor mapping and especially the case when its turbo'd/supercharged.

What plans do you have for yours?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2017 at 20:52, 350Butcher said:

I would say the biggest killer of engines forged or other wise is poor mapping and especially the case when its turbo'd/supercharged.

Exactly this... Providing the build is done right with no corner cutting etc, Mapping is key after! 

Coming from a few forged builds where either the build itself isn't spot on or the map has been poor

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My engine is fully built for boost. I blew up the original standard motor.

It's been completely fine. In no way harsher, the characteristics are no different and of course, it's much more reliable. 

Wiseco Pistons .020 over
Eagle/SCAT H Beam Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP VQ35 Main Stud Kit
Ceramic/Moly Piston Coating
Block inspected and cleaned
Block re-decked
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Block water passage cut for HR Head gaskets
Rotating assembly balanced
Crank magna-fluxed and the journals micro-polished
New Moly coated Race Spec main bearings installed
New Moly coated Race Spec rod bearings installed

• Like 1

Forged motors if built properly and mapped properly and well maintained and driven properly should be extremely reliable and provide loads of fun and longevity.

However, the cost of maintenance will vary greatly depending on whether you are planning to be a regular track day warrior or just fast road use.

Depending on what power and to what extent you track the car then you will have regular financial outlays.

Remember that every time that you "tinker" with the motor then you will probably require a tune.

It is very important that your tuner/mapper can provide fast, professional, remote mapping if you are not close to a suitable mapper.

Your choice of mapper will depend on your location and what ECU you run with.

My 720 bhp/710 lbs/ft track 350Z is running Syvecs S6+ remotely tuned/mapped by Abbey.

My 840 bhp/700lbs/ft track R35 GT-R is running Ecutek remotely tuned/mapped by Litchfields.

• Like 3