Towing a trailer behind a 370z

JoshC

Might be a daft quesion as I know the 370 isn't exactly set up to be a towing vehicle, but I was just wondering if it's actually possibly to tow a small trailer carrying a jet ski? I've read elsewhere that the car somehow senses when there is a trailer attached and reduces engine torque? If that's true I would guess it indicates it is capable of towing something?

Only looking out of curiosity at the moment but have looked at a Yamaha Waverunner jet ski and the dry weight is 498lbs or 226kg. Looking at a random trailer they seem to weight around the 135kgs mark so around 360kgs total.

So if it is possible to tow, what is the maximum towing capacity and would people reccomend against it or not? Could it damage the car?

Appreciate any advice! :)

It would be a conditions and use offence; any tow bar fitted to a car first registered after 1998 has to meet the 94/20/EC regulations, which state it has to be type approved for that car and use the manufacturer's approved fitting points.

If somebody rear ended you, the insurance assessor could claim that use of a non approved tow bar has contributed to the damage. If you're towing and crash or the trailer goes off on an adventure, they could claim that you shouldn't have been towing in the first place and as such you technically wouldn't have had insurance.

Being a modification, you'd have to tell the insurers about it too.

"Hi Admiral, I'd like to fit a towbar to my 370z"

"Not type approved buddy, can't do it, sorry"

"oh ok then"

Think you mean Construction and Use , this is the same legislation that covers many modified parts like HFC's, exhausts and spoilers  , some people like to pick and choose what laws they will follow and ignore 

14 hours ago, Richf said:

Think you mean Construction and Use , this is the same legislation that covers many modified parts like HFC's, exhausts and spoilers  , some people like to pick and choose what laws they will follow and ignore 

I did mean that yeah, typo, not sure how. It's not exactly the same though is it, adding a spoiler to the vehicle, so long as there aren't any sharp edges is perfectly legal, you just have to declare it to the insurers as a modification. HFC's and exhausts are also legal, so long as the emissions aren't affected and the noise increase isn't "excessive" C&U is generally open to interpretation, carrying a trailer on a vehicle not plated for one is pretty clear cut.

On 12/07/2017 at 10:12, AliveBoy said:

I did mean that yeah, typo, not sure how. It's not exactly the same though is it, adding a spoiler to the vehicle, so long as there aren't any sharp edges is perfectly legal, you just have to declare it to the insurers as a modification. HFC's and exhausts are also legal, so long as the emissions aren't affected and the noise increase isn't "excessive" C&U is generally open to interpretation, carrying a trailer on a vehicle not plated for one is pretty clear cut.

You cannot modify a car to make it emit more emissions than standard nor are you allowed to make it noisier than standard

Legislation
Operation of this procedure relies on the use of 2 offences:
Silencer/ exhaust system altered to increase noise

Reg.  54(2) The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986;
Avoidance of excessive noise

Reg.  97 The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986.
In summary, vehicle exhausts must not be altered or replaced in a manner which
increases the noise above that emitted by the type approved exhaust fitted by the
manufacturer.  
In any case the sound emitted by an exhaust fitted to a standard car must not exceed
80dB.