2011 - 370z - Steering Lock Failure - Surrey

Cloudy

Hi All - rarely post on here, in fact I haven't since I bought the car back in 2013 but I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Over the last few days it has become apparent that I have the early signs of the steering lock failure. I go to start the car, dip the clutch, press the button and the engine doesn't fire. Now sometimes this is resolved by:

1. Getting out the car, locking it and going through the usual process.

2. Getting out the car, locking it and then jiggling the steering wheel.

3. Getting out the car, locking it, placing foot on clutch and placing car in gear.

Ultimately this needs fixing. Looking at previous posts Nissan seems to be the way to go, although it would seem that when this problem first came to light Nissan charged people £1800 to diagnose and replace the module. I've seen more recent posts that now suggest Nissan will charge around £500 (£250 for the module)... certainly rather pay that than the former. I note there was a recall but only for 370s up to 2010 (seems daft but typical) mine is March 2011.

I suppose my question is, where should I take the car to get this sorted? Given where I live Nissan in Crawley (Surrey) are the closest, anyone used them, are they any good?  Usually take the car to Abbey as I've never been a fan of dealerships.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm going to pull the fuse tonight and see what happens. That said going forward I want to sell the car (been faultless until now) and potentially purchase a V1 Nismo, so I'm going to need to fix it in reality.  

Edited by Cloudy

Pull the fuse but if you wanted advice from a decent dealer try going to Aldershot, they dealt with my steering lock recall faultless and very quickly, even giving me the replacement part due for a gtr so I could get it sorted quickly.

check the chassis number to confirm if you are in the recall range

Been out tonight to check the chassis number and steering lock module number, mine is JF00C-B1--01. Based on what I have been reading it would appear that this module is covered by the recall and should be replaced free of charge. While I was outside I went to start the car twice... typically it fired up without issue. Regardless of this I'm going to call Nissan tomorrow and get it sorted.

Will370z - I've seem your posts regarding Aldershot dealer, they're about 45mins to hour from me so I can cope with that for the sake of using a dealer that has experience in this. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks