New 350Z Owner

Hi peeps, 

I picked up a 350Z at the weekend. My first non Honda in a long long time. 

Always been big into my Hondas, know them really well, can take Honda engines and gearboxes apart in my sleep probably. 

Fancied a change this time though, fancied something V6 powered, hence going for a 350Z, at least it's still Japanese :D

Budget was kinda limited though which meant I went for not quite a perfect one but I like having a Project car than I can slowly work on and bring up to my own standards.

I've already contacted @ZMANALEX for a few bits and bobs. 

Loving how she drives.

Initial impressions are that brakes don't bite straight away, slightly spongy feel to them but it does stop well if you force the pedal. I'll probably do a full brake fluid flush at somepoint and service the brakes all the way round.

Hand brake needs some attention as it's not really holding all that well. 

Engine needs a service.

On idle with bonnet open I can hear an intermittent and occasional misfire, previous owner told me the plugs were new. So I guess could be a lightly dicky coil or perhaps the MAF needs cleaning etc etc .. will check this out at some point. Any common culprits to look for ?

Engine bay .. oh don't ask about the engine bay, let's just say it's really bugging my OCD ! :lol:

Light weight flywheel.. nice as it let's the engine rev freely but by gum the clutch chatter under 2K RPM makes the gearbox. I'm torn whether to go back a OEM Dual Mass fly wheel but then I actually do like the free reviness feel of a lightweight flywheel. 

I'll get some pics posted once I've washed her. 

Any thought on the above points, especially the slight misfire and the clutch chatter would be great fully received. 

Look forward to getting involved in the forum, initially I would think I've got plenty to learn though :wacko:

Regards

SpeedyZee

Welcome mate, I've also had a few Hondas :)

The biggest plus for me getting a Z was the smooth torque from low down. Lovely V6 exhaust note. I sometimes miss the frenetic involvement of vtec but sometimes it's nice to waft along.

I've also got a burble on tick over that sounds like a slight misfire. Also the other week  she let me down firing on five whilst on the move. 

On that occasion I had failed to mask off the headlight properly with the bonnet open and had accidentally sprayed headlight restorer into the intake. It had bypassed the rather dirty HKS filter and been sucked in coating the pipe. A clean up and new filter and it's been OK since but I still suspect a dodgy coil pack so will probably replace them all anyway.

My handbrake was useless originally but I've adjusted it and roughed up the shoes a little with wet and dry and it's been great for 12 months now.

Great cars all round, a bit lardy but superb all rounder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zeezeebaba said:

The biggest plus for me getting a Z was the smooth torque from low down. Lovely V6 exhaust note. I sometimes miss the frenetic involvement of vtec but sometimes it's nice to waft along.

Yes, I'm loving the torque low down. Still love the VTEC engines though, they'll always be a Honda or two hanging around my place :)

Currently still got two Accord 2.4's, I'm prepping one to sell, the other one will stay for a while yet. 

5 hours ago, Zeezeebaba said:

My handbrake was useless originally but I've adjusted it and roughed up the shoes a little with wet and dry and it's been great for 12 months now.

That's a nice little trick will try that when I get round to checking the handbrake :thumbs: