Volvo going EV from 2019

Zeezeebaba

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:39, Zeezeebaba said:

Caught this story on the news this morning. Volvo to no longer produce purely ICE cars from 2019 and will only offer EV and hybrids.

It's a good move from Volvo but not sure it deserved all the press/news coverage - including a good few minutes on the BBC news.

The way the reporter was going on about it you would think Volvo was the first company to ever make an EV.....Despite the fact they don't even sell a proper EV at present - only a plug-in hybrid. The rest of the report was than concentrated on the same old bias about lack of range/charging etc.

I've done another 700 miles in the last 3 weeks in the loaner Model X, that takes my EV millage close to 20K in the last 2.5 years and I've run out of charge exactly 0(zero) times. Yesterday in the work car park spotted another X, a Leaf, and two Zoes, compared to 2015 when seeing just another Leaf was a rare occurrence.

Tesla about to start production of their $30K 200miles+ range EV later this week, Nissan is releasing a 200 mile range Leaf in September this year, VAG apparently have a whole load of EV in the pipeline before 2020.

Like a few people on this forum journalist need to stop thinking about EVs in the future tense but realise the shift away from combustion engines is happening now as 'affordable' 200miles+ range cars are literally starting to roll off the production line.

I'm hoping for a best of both worlds situation... a plug in hybrid, with a little 200bhp 2 litre turbo petrol engine powering the rear wheels, and a 100bhp electric motor driving the fronts. the electric only range needs to be at least 60 miles, that way I can drive to work and back on pure electric, but have the long distance ability of a fuel tank.

the bmw 330e is closest to that spec, but the electric only range is so short its not worth the bother yet.

• Like 1

Volvo are just trying to reduce costs and increase profits. 

I have a 2017 XC60 D5 polestar as a daily. It's comfortable, well spec'd and surprisingly quick....ish. 

I like it, so I test drove the new xc90 D5 when it was released and was horrified. I was expecting the same 2.4 5 cylinder twin turbo diesel as my car, but it has a 4 pot 2.0 diesel. It sounded cheap, really struggled to move such a big car and just felt wrong. 

The salesman gave me some bs about being eco friendly and that's the companies priority. Kind of falls flat when you find out you can't buy a v40 with a smaller engine than the xc90!?!

There is also nothing eco friendly about a 2.0l diesel struggling to move a huge SUV. 

Every Volvo gets the same 2.0l, 4 pot engine whether it's a £17k v40 or a £70k top spec XC90 D5. It's ridiculous.