Ebay help - ripped off

marzman

Just after ideas guys... im not bothered about the money, but it's the principle that's pi$$ing me off...

I bought a Raspberry Pi for £55 + £5 P&P recently.  The auction stated P&P by 'Economy Courier'.

I didnt receive the item and so contacted the seller, who checked with the courier.  The order tracking states that the item was delivered successfully.  Having contacted the courier to ask for more details (My Hermes), the delivery note states 'Delivered to secure location - Storage Cupboard'.

I dispute this as a) I didnt receive a note through the letterbox to say delivery was attempted and B) the description could not be my house - there is nothing that could be considered to be a storage cupboard at my address.

So far, the courier has refused to speak to me but says they will conduct a driver interview.  This has now been 2 weeks with no response.  I've asked the seller to chase, but he's got no motivation to do so.

eBay say I am not elligible for Buyer Protection because it is stated as delivered successfully by the courier.

The seller has also told me they didn't pay for insurance, so even if it was lost in the post we wouldn't be able to claim for it.

Am i in the wrong to assume an item of this value should have been insured by default by a responsible seller?  Would this give me any recourse to claim a refund from a poor seller?

I can't believe I have no protection, or recourse in this case.  This is either an honest mistake from a courier delivering to the wrong address, or I have literally just been stolen from, and I have no form of recourse or protection.

• Like 1

1) £60 for a bloody RPi?? There are £30 on Amazon. The full kit is £44 (Pi 3, PSU, case, uSD)

2) Bit of a dick move to the seller, but if you paid via PayPal and open a dispute with them, from past experience they seem to just side with the buyer regardless and will probably refund you.

3) Chasing it with myHerpes would be the best solution for everyone, but they don't exactly have a great rep.

Edited by Roicey

Pi, Case, Controller, 32GB card, PSU.  I've since bought another from an online shop and the same gear came in at £66.

Agree, dick move by the seller.  Both ebay and paypal have refused to refund me as the item was marked as delivered.

I've literally just had confirmation from My Herpes that they've closed the case and that the item was delivered successfully.  :rant:

The only other solution I have is i'm fairly certain it's the same Herpes driver that deliveres to my area every time.  I could send something to myself via them and then confront the driver.  Won't get my money back but i'll feel better. :)

Buyer scenario number 3 here http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/My-item-has-not-been-delivered-or-received-What-to-do-/10000000002072890/g.html

I think you have to continue with the courier, even if they have closed it you go higher up the organisation. I always find that a nice negative complaint about the courier drivers likelihood to be ripping off people hastagged into Twitter tends to get the attention of companies!

Well that sucks.

See if you can request evidence the driver was at your address such as GPS or photo.

Might be worth pursuing them on social media too. I've resorted to complaining to Yodel before via Twitter and Facebook and eventually managed to resolve things.

On 04/07/2017 at 19:57, marzman said:

Just after ideas guys... im not bothered about the money, but it's the principle that's pi$$ing me off...

I bought a Raspberry Pi for £55 + £5 P&P recently.  The auction stated P&P by 'Economy Courier'.

I didnt receive the item and so contacted the seller, who checked with the courier.  The order tracking states that the item was delivered successfully.  Having contacted the courier to ask for more details (My Hermes), the delivery note states 'Delivered to secure location - Storage Cupboard'.

I dispute this as a) I didnt receive a note through the letterbox to say delivery was attempted and B) the description could not be my house - there is nothing that could be considered to be a storage cupboard at my address.

So far, the courier has refused to speak to me but says they will conduct a driver interview.  This has now been 2 weeks with no response.  I've asked the seller to chase, but he's got no motivation to do so.

eBay say I am not elligible for Buyer Protection because it is stated as delivered successfully by the courier.

The seller has also told me they didn't pay for insurance, so even if it was lost in the post we wouldn't be able to claim for it.

Am i in the wrong to assume an item of this value should have been insured by default by a responsible seller?  Would this give me any recourse to claim a refund from a poor seller?

I can't believe I have no protection, or recourse in this case.  This is either an honest mistake from a courier delivering to the wrong address, or I have literally just been stolen from, and I have no form of recourse or protection.

Had exactly the same thing with My Hermes here a couple of years ago, was 12 bottles of wine,  I was lucky, the seller sent a repalcmenet next day via a different courier, I also complained to My Hermes as it wasn't the first time this particualr driver had claimed to have left a parcel somewhere that didn't exist (we don't have a porch!!!).  Eventually I spoke to an area manager and he arranged at our request, that that particular driver didn't deliver to us again.  They appointed an alternative drive and fair play to them they'v been great ever since.  We susbsequently heard that the original driver had been sacked, I guess there's always going to be a small % of dishonest delivery drivers in every courier company though.  The worst part was trying to speak to anyone at Hermes other than by "complaint ticket".  Had to be really persistent.

On 04/07/2017 at 19:57, marzman said:

I totally sympathise with the PITA that this is, but as a seller on ebay myself I have to stick up for the seller in this case.

It is the seller who is at risk if they choose not use insurance.  If an item gets lost in the post or disappears it is the seller who has to refund or replace.  Often they can reclaim something from the deliverer but for a £60 item they are the ones who would lose out.  Why not use insurance? Because it's expensive and the buyer will go and get their goods from someone cheaper.  I know that if I am a few pence more than a competitor my sales drop off, so cost is the primary factor in a like-for-like item sale.  Many items are shipped with simple royal mail stamps and the seller has to suck it up if someone says it didn't arrive.  It is open to abuse but thankfully 99.9% of people are honest.

On 04/07/2017 at 20:04, Roicey said:

2) Bit of a dick move to the seller, but if you paid via PayPal and open a dispute with them, from past experience they seem to just side with the buyer regardless and will probably refund you.

A very kind seller might refund or replace but really they have no obligation to do so. Sellers and ebay rely on the delivery company to validate delivery, presumably to prevent fraud but also to keep sellers in line to delivery timescales.  Raising a pay dispute pushes your problem back onto the seller and takes their money away for no fault of theirs

As Roicey says, a bit of a dick move.

Both the seller and ebay have done everything right and have good working practices, its the courier that is in the wrong and the courier that needs to be beaten until they too get better working practices.  They must get this sort of complaint a lot so will have mechanisms to follow to get your item.  Do not be fobbed off with them saying the item wasn't insured as that is their contract with the sender for damage and loss.  In this case the loss is their failure due to a delivery mistake (in which case they should rectify) or fraud (in which case they should rectify) and a full refund of the full value is reasonable.

It's still a royal pain for you though.

Not aimed at you Chris, as I've no idea what delivery company you use, but basically it's the race to the bottom that causes this kind of thing. MyHerpes are the cheapest, nastiest couriers, along with Yodel, and they give a cheapy nasty service. As soon as I find out a company uses them then I stop using that company, same as I used to with Sh*ttyLink when they were going.

I'd rather pay a couple of quid more for a decent service than risk everything, and it's situations like this that reminds me why I do that. And in fairness to Marzman, I do get caught out on occasion when I forget to ask what courier or get caught up in the moment and impulse buy, so no blame aimed at him either.

Arguably you could simply go to court and fight on the balance of probabilities, and I might even be tempted to send a letter saying that to the seller and see what happens.

• Like 1

Just seen this Chris (M). I had a similar nightmare with MyHermes saying an item was "delivered successfully" 

It was only when I threatened to send them a date stamped copy of my cctv for the day of supposed "delivery" and suggested that their driver had stolen the item that they miraculously tracked it down. He'd dropped it off at an office address 10 miles away because he couldn't be bothered to do 1 drop out of his way. 

Had I not had that, they were not interested at all. Bunch of  t@##ers!

You don't have cctv by any chance? :wink:

Edited by leonk