What pads are you using for track?

bc1987

Hello all,

from my other posts you might have worked out I am gearing up to track my zed for the first time.

this is not my first time on track - I am quite experienced but with my track car I have gone through a very expensive process of burning through "track" pads to find a good brake pad setup. for instance I am never going to buy EBC pads again, their yellow stuff pads lasted about 3 laps are donington park before they were mush!

I currently use DS2500 in my track car which are fricking awesome but I am always open to suggestions so...

1. What are you using and would you recommend them?

note I do need to drive to and from the track but I am not against switching out pads at home and I am not interested in budget alternatives!

2. anyone using Hawk or Stoptech pads? (I like buying from tarmac as he is just round the corner but I have had no experience with these pads)

thanks

BC

I found the Performance Friction 01 on the fronts and Z-rated on the rear of mine to be the best combo I tried, but that was in conjunction with PF 2-piece discs and Endless fluid (that stuff is immense btw).

If I were you I'd be going for a set of the CL5+ or CL6E pads, right now I don't think there's much better out there.

• Like 1

Dear god yes. Like night and day, and I say that as a fan of the 660. The only reason I stopped using the Endless was that the warranty on the car I bought after wouldn't allow it, and with the BMW I'd pretty much double the value by using it :lol:  Actually, I really should give that a go now it's a reasonable price.

funny you don't rate EBC pads... ran the yellows for a while on an old BMW 330ci, they were ok, but didn't last that long. Have since switched to EBC bluestuffs which have been a lot better, even with no other upgrades on my 328i the stopping power has been excellent with no hint of fade, and the fronts lasted 6 trackdays, rears lasted 4 (though that may have been down to a slightly sticking caliper)

given that the fronts are £85 a set, I'm hard pressed to spend double that amount on anything that should be better.

PS are you planning on running a second set of wheels with track oriented tyres on? if you are I'd recommend federal 595 RS-Rs, my rears have done about 15 trackdays now, and basically refuse to die!

3 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

funny you don't rate EBC pads... ran the yellows for a while on an old BMW 330ci, they were ok, but didn't last that long. Have since switched to EBC bluestuffs which have been a lot better, even with no other upgrades on my 328i the stopping power has been excellent with no hint of fade, and the fronts lasted 6 trackdays, rears lasted 4 (though that may have been down to a slightly sticking caliper)

given that the fronts are £85 a set, I'm hard pressed to spend double that amount on anything that should be better.

PS are you planning on running a second set of wheels with track oriented tyres on? if you are I'd recommend federal 595 RS-Rs, my rears have done about 15 trackdays now, and basically refuse to die!

Yet maybe my clio just ate pads... ferrodo 2500s are similar price and are amazing. I love the bedding instructions which basically say fit them, pull out of pit lane , smash it.

I have never tried bluestuff, might be worth a look

I am with you op, do not like ebc pads, any i have tried just feel wooden with zero feel.

I was always used ds2500 and thought you couldnt get much better for my  intended use but on varying reviews tried the cl5+ as recommended above, definitely another level to ds2500.

CL RC5+
I'll possibly be going up to RC6 after an email enquiry with them but I need to make some brake ducting first, and fix the gearbox, and fit my OMP seat, and maybe install a new clutch and flywheel :headhurt:

I really didn't like DS2500's on the road, I had fade a few times! 

Edited by RobPhoboS

I had RC5+ on my Zed and thought they were the absolute bomb, didnt think youd ever need anything better, it felt like the rear wheels were coming off the ground sometimes .......... I now have RC6 on my 135i and realise I was slightly wrong :lol:
Pagid RS29, Performance Friction and Carbotech are all a class above anything that EBC make IMO too. 

The RC6 are proper noisy though, you need to be comfortable with pissing off every pedestrian you stop within 50m of before fitting :lol:

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Have you tried the RC6E Doc? I can't get the 6's in my pad size (they're same shape as the E92 M3 luckily), so only have the choice of 5+ or 6E.

I was actually going to go with RC6E as I thought they would be a bit more gentle on the disks but after talking to the man at CL UK (a very knowledgeable chap) he said that they had experience with CL6E leaving deposits on discs if not used hard to the point of causing vibration, he reckons RC6 would be better for a car that was driven normally as well as given death on track.

TBH I think the deposits are whats making my RC6 squeal like stuck pigs anyway, 2 laps in on track and its gone., I certainly wouldnt want it any worse.  

I have the RC6. Fine from cold, still better than most other pads and as said they get even better with heat. Only downside is the squeel so either you slam on a few times to get them warm or put up with it. As i understand it the RC5+ are great for lighter cars, the RC6 for heavier cars and the RC6E are somewhere in the middle performance wise but last much longer than either and aimed at endurance racing. 

I think they do an 8 compound as well but suppose that will be track only and not suitable for road use. 

• Like 2