How To Do Things In The New Forum

A shortish video to illustrate some of the new features and how to do the things you used to know how to do but may no longer know how to do. 

If you have any other questions, specifically about How To (not, I don't like the colours etc) then post them up and I'll do my best to provide an answer in text or vid. Hope you're enjoying the new space.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, SuperStu said:

I was going to use the last of the summer wine theme for the mature members, but alas copyright got in the way.

I'm still trying to get over the way (and where) my phone has been buzzing all day ;)

• Like 1

How do i turn notifications on?? On "my account" then "notification settings" it says my notifications are disabled and to go to "browser help" to turn them back on.

Where's Brower help??

Is there any way to change the thread view from the current one? E.g.   

PART EXCHANGE PRICE
Coldel replied to JEMAN's topic in 350Z General

It shows the most recent replier's avatar alongside the thread, so it just looks like a thread started to Coldel in this example.;

19 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Not sure what you mean by that? Makes sense to me, Col is the one who just replied so it's his avatar on display: Do you mean you'd want the OP avatar shown all the time?

Yes.  Or OP's name... so I can easily see who's thread it is.   On the old forum it showed thread starter on a left hand column, and last comment in a right hand column.

I'm fairly sure i asked for this and it got implemented last time the forum was changed (or the time before :blush:)

Gotcha :thumbs:

Personally I would be against that as a change to the global settings, as you can see who the thread starter was already because it tells you, but if there's an option for it later down the line I can see why some might want that.

You can see who started a thread, but the OP's name is in the centre of a line of varying-length text meaning you've got to read the whole line before you see it.  I want to be able to see it at a glance without having to read it.  Im reading in the Condensed view as opposed to Expanded too, whether that makes any difference.

20 hours ago, marzman said:

Also just realised I can't see when a thread was started either, without going into it.  Im really struggling with this new main thread view.

Sorry to hear you're struggling. 

Unfortunately we were never going to be able to please everyone.

There have been significant changes to the base software between our old format and the new up to date version. We've already put significant investment into this upgrade (time and money), and I don't envisage me having the time in the near future to adapt the code to appease what in all honesty is a minor thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Sorry to hear you're struggling. 

Unfortunately we were never going to be able to please everyone.

There have been significant changes to the base software between our old format and the new up to date version. We've already put significant investment into this upgrade (time and money), and I don't envisage me having the time in the near future to adapt the code to appease what in all honesty is a minor thing. 

To be honest Lexx, that's a very dissapointing attitude, given how much we pay to be members, oh, hang on.

Great job team!

I already like how you can get notifications real time.

Seems like only yesterday since the last upgrade but this seems like a really good move.

• Like 1

drag and drop pictures is amazing! 

just out of curiosity where are the pictures stored as it was made pretty clear previously that the forum isn't paying to support the extra memory needed via hosting, so I would assume they are uploaded to a 3rd party site and linked directly with the new forum through software maybe!?

Excellent job though as it is looking amazing! 

just to be fussy though is there any simple way to implement a dark/night mode where you can change the chat boxes to black and the text to white (basically invert the text colours) as it can be a bit easier to read that way around and I assume its a simple theme type script to implement ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrG13 said:

drag and drop pictures is amazing! 

just out of curiosity where are the pictures stored as it was made pretty clear previously that the forum isn't paying to support the extra memory needed via hosting, so I would assume they are uploaded to a 3rd party site and linked directly with the new forum through software maybe!?

Excellent job though as it is looking amazing! 

just to be fussy though is there any simple way to implement a dark/night mode where you can change the chat boxes to black and the text to white (basically invert the text colours) as it can be a bit easier to read that way around and I assume its a simple theme type script to implement ;) 

+1 on this as an idea and would allow mobile users much more battery time for browsing the forum. Dark modes are a top quality suggestion. :thumbs:

Edited by Flashback
Mistype

Hi...Im having trouble finding my content! As in previous threads and stuff so obviously im unsure as to whether its been replied to etc etc.

Whereas before it would be highlighted in the list of your content posts. 

Is it a bug or something thats still not finished on the site?...Or is it me!!!