Track insurance

bc1987

Hello all,

Who are people using for track day cover?
How much are people paying for single day cover?

on my "track" car I have never bothered to get insurance as it is worthless but with this car being my favourite thing in the world (I hope my wife doesn't read this) I think it is necessary!

cheers

B

If you don't have cover on your road insurance  (REIS and CCI still offer this I believe, as do a couple of the traders on here), then I normally use either Moris or InsureMyTrackday. Moris have been great in the past but are a bit unreliable to get hold of lately so I've been using IMT. Better prices than Moris, arguably better cover, I've never made a claim with them but so far the experience has been very good.

You can get online quotes too, so stick your details in and see what you get.  I too work on the basis that unless I can afford to come away with no car at all then I definitely want it insured.

• Like 1

i don't bother with insurance, cheapest quote I've found for a day was about £90, regardless of whether the car is worth £800 or £8000.

ps be sure to post up when you book onto a trackday, I'm always looking for some friendly *strictly non competitive* competition!

• Like 1

I've just used insuremytrackday, quote was £130 for £15k cover, the excess is a wedge though at £1200. Personally I'd find it hard to relax and enjoy without knowing there was some, albeit caveated, cover in place.

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Excess will almost always be 10% of the value of the car regardless of insurer, so I would see that as about right. £130 is a bargain IMHO should some muppet plough into the side of you.

It's not strictly a track day, it's cover for driver training at Millbrook, so no one will be ploughing anywhere near me, it'll be me doing the ploughing!

39 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Ah yes, forgot you've got that coming up shortly. Ironically that's something I wouldn't bother with cover for, same as a Walshy day.

I was very tempted to give it a swerve, but then I had a think about how stupid I'd feel if the worst should happen :lol:

Just checked out insure my trackday for a quote at the nurburgring on a sunday tourist day, im going there for 10 days on the 30th July. It was £170 for my zed being worth £7000. It covers the whole day 8 till 7 with £2000 worth of Armco barrier cover aswell, or an extra £45 to get £4000 of armco barrier cover.

I diddnt think it was too bad... nurburgring here we come lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jester said:

This fella lives opposite me - http://www.ryanmi.com - I have not used him but he only does track insurance, might be worth checking out.

This is not an endorsement just a useful link.

Just seems to link back to insuremytrackday.com

What we need is an insurer to pipe up and offer a discount :stir:

Yeah seems that is one of his other websites.

Asked him the thrid-party Q, this is what I got - Everyone is liable only for damages to their own car so if you hit someone else they pay to repair their car and you pay to repair yours. That's why insurance on a track day is a good idea, as you can't account for what other drivers are on the track and their actions could write your car off.

Will work on seeing if he can do something for us... if you don't ask....

6 minutes ago, Jester said:

Yeah seems that is one of his other websites.

Asked him the thrid-party Q, this is what I got - Everyone is liable only for damages to their own car so if you hit someone else they pay to repair their car and you pay to repair yours. That's why insurance on a track day is a good idea, as you can't account for what other drivers are on the track and their actions could write your car off.

Will work on seeing if he can do something for us... if you don't ask....

Hero

33 minutes ago, Jester said:

It's the Ring specifically that I refer to with my question, as it's a public road and not a trackday (assuming a TF day of course). In this situation your own road insurance doesn't cover you, so if you crash into someone else's car then your insurer will be coming after you directly for that repair cost. Okay if you nudge a Nova, not so good if you dent a Dodge Viper.

Ive used it a fair bit (I value my car at about £18K and drive it like I stole it on track) and have paid between £70 for a UK day up to about £250 for a Nurburgring trackday - Id be amazed if a TF policy for 10 days is actually £170, particularly now there are only two companies that do it ..........

The way I look at it is Im already doing £150 on tyres, £150 on fuel, probably £50 on brakes, easily another £100 on other wear and tear parts ....... if its Bedford its nother £50 on fuel, if its Nur its another £500 on travel, hotel etc. so another £100 isnt really going to break the bank, it also gives that last 2% of confidence to push.

I wouldnt bother with some places now (Bedford, Anglesey, Spa spring to mind) but for others (Cadwell, Nur,  Brands GP) its worth it, even if only for the first time you visit.