23rd September 2017

davey_83

Not looking for religious willy waving, "ive read the Bible", "I've read it 3 times, plus the Quran" not after this religion is better than that. Purely something I've come across and would like other peoples views.

Im looking for ideas of maybe debunking the attached video as the concept seems pretty incredible.

I'm a religious person in such I believe in a creator, Adam and Eve and what was then presented afterwards. People that are religious, great for you. People that aren't, again great for you.

Apologies if this needs to be deleted and isn't correct for the forum.

David

Seems reasonable to me, still got a few months to get a tin foil hat organized :lol:

I think the "moon under her feet" is a bit misleading, its actually to the left of her left foot, not under the sole of the foot :stir:

Well, I'd better start asking for forgiveness. 'I didn't mean to destroy the ozone layer with my 350z, melt the polar icecaps caps and harm the penguins'.

Just with the Mayan prediction, it was released to be tosh. The stars are interesting don't get me wrong. But if you stare at anything long enough, drops of water on a pain of glass, your mind forms shapes and constellations.

We will find out, at least the date is achievable and not too far away, meaning we will both find out fairly shortly.

Interesting concept. Without studying the movements of the stars it's difficult to debunk. I feel that signs will always be there if you look for them hard enough, but rarely mean anything.

My question is how long it takes to accept Jesus and how long cosmic destruction will take. Surely it's nigh impossible to deny something exists when it's tearing you asunder.

I'm not religious myself but like you am happy for people that are and aren't.

In all serious, his first contradiction is to state that "He" controls the constellations, whilst in actual fact the whole reason we "know" this will happen on the 27th is because we know the constellations/planets follow an entirely predictably and unwavering path.

Sort of shot down his own argument there :lol:

• Like 3

As soon as he makes the assumption that God created the stars, it kinda debunked itself.

It's a pattern found for the sake of a pattern. It means nothing at all. Given the Bible has been translated and re-translated so many times, much of what is believed to be written then had a very different meaning. Solar eclipses aren't all that rare either, in the grand scheme of things.

Above all, what makes this prediction different from the others? Nothing at all, because they didn't come true and neither will this.

Total b*****ks. There you go, easy ;)

Also as a point of note and being less polite about it, religions are nothing but cranial poison. Although I have no issue if you believe in the sky daddy, I'm afraid I will exercise my freedom of speech and highlight my mistrust in those who base their lives around something that doesn't exist.

Thankfully most believers are otherwise sane, but some do have a tendency to self prophesise disaster.

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 1

I think you'll struggle to refute beliefs David, it's just not a way of thinking which is subject to evidence based reasoning.

Seen the film Dogma? Yours comment reminded me of that. Its very difficult to change beliefs, its better to have ideas (paraphrasing)
  • Like 1

Total b*****ks. There you go, easy ;)

Also as a point of note and being less polite about it, religions are nothing but cranial poison. Although I have no issue if you believe in the sky daddy, I'm afraid I will exercise my freedom of speech and highlight my mistrust in those who base their lives around something that doesn't exist.

Thankfully most believers are otherwise sane, but some do have a tendency to self prophesise disaster.

Sky Daddy, interesting encryption.

I used to believe in my mum/brothers religion until I got so sick of my brother treating me like utter dogshit sitting atop his lofty divine throne and since the last attack where he took it too far, I've since cut him off. His religion promulgates peace, being meek and mild, not wrathful, not being at odds with ones brother and so on..

Well my brother has punched me in the chops a few times, regularly threatens to "flppin' 'ammer" me for insubordination (cracking a joke at him) and years and years of judgement, bullying, and falsifying accounts and telling other family members. And so on.

Yet eeeeeevery Sunday, he goes-a-knockin' on strangers doors to save them with compassion for his fellow "brothers".

He's been promoted to the level just before Elder.

So yeah, I used to believe that religion was the last bastion of decent truth.

Turns out it's all control, violence etc. Conforming.

Then again my brother is a complete dullard with the inability to think for himself so it's perfect.

They also predicted the Lords wrath cleansing the earth in 1914.

I'm of the opinion that everyone live and let live, I hate being preached at by people who won't listen to reason. This covers: The religious and the non, the Labour and the Tories, my wife, my boss and my kids. I'm happy for people to have there own beliefs and followings, but try and force me round to your way

• Like 2

Most believers I know of the abrahemic rooted faiths have written off the old testament as they have realised it's a total work of incredulous chuff.Couple this to the real wonderment of our perceived reality and the millions of years (not thousands) it's taken to get here and an enlightened mind can only draw one conclusion.

The way some belief systems have tried to adapt also lends itself to the myth, yes there are some die hard individuals out there especially proponents of the later versions of the line and one who's global footprint is increasing.

This is very sad but understandable to a point based on the socio economic and cultural upbringing of such people.

And yet secularism and open mindedness is also on the increase, I take comfort from this.

There are seeds of hope for humanity but they need nurturing. If they don't grow and flourish I fear we are the professors of our own doom, weighed down by the baggage of a long lost generation seeking social cohesion at a time when it was needed.

It's time to stop crawling on the floor and take our first steps towards true enlightenment, empathy for others pre dates any religious doctrine and isn't the consequence of it.

Live your lives, your very lucky to be doing so. Don't waste it shackled to the ramblings of men gone by.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

I find it odd that as a people we are obsessed with our own destruction. This guy has gone to a lot of trouble to say that 23rd sept marks the beginning of the end. Its not even a religious thing, how many times has it been reported such and such asteroid may hit us. We delight in our own misery, planning for nuclear, astronomic religious viral or even zombie apocalypse. Are some peoples lives so bad they waste it preparing for the unknown and unlikely?

Whether you're religious or not, live your life to its fullest enjoyment and try and do it with no regrets without hurting others, and if there is a God, at least you've been a good person. If not, you can reflect on your death bed with fondness of a life well lived.

That said, I've stuffed up the hurting others part, and when the zombies come you're all welcome to my bunker. :lol:

Gives me the heebie-jeebies when I find, for instance, a public figure such as a doctor, who I obviously cannot dismiss as being uneducated, with a deep belief in religion. 

It all stems from the parents, with everything. My girlfriend does not like seafood, 'did your parents not cook you seafood when you were growing up'? 'no, they never'. But I bet you if her parents fed her peanut butter when she was young, innocent and maleable she would eat peanut butter to this day. 

What I'm trying to say is when a child is developing its easy for somebody to instill a belief or like or dislike in that person. Then that person grows up and does the same to their child, or children. Then they do it and it grows. 

Which ultimately is why we get large followings of people believing in something. If my dad told me the world was going to end when OP said, and kept telling me when I was younger, I would most likely be arguing with you now saying it was going to end. 

8 hours ago, Exec said:

It all stems from the parents, with everything. My girlfriend does not like seafood, 'did your parents not cook you seafood when you were growing up'? 'no, they never'. But I bet you if her parents fed her peanut butter when she was young, innocent and maleable she would eat peanut butter to this day. 

My parents practically force fed me courgettes as a youngster.

I don't like courgettes.

• Like 1