photobucket p500

valy

PB have now changed their rules and are starting to roll it out across various accounts: If you don't pay up, they don't allow third-parties to access (i.e. using them as file storage for posting on forums).

• Like 1

PB have now changed their rules and are starting to roll it out across various accounts: If you don't pay up, they don't allow third-parties to access (i.e. using them as file storage for posting on forums).

exactly,they rolled out this new rules yesterday...

and yes,I don't want to pay their membership fees for 3rd party sharing at $399.99/year so what next?what other alternatives do members here use?

Perhaps its time for the forum to allow limited advertising that then enables members to post direct on here........and still keep it free to members.

With the forum having encouraged the use of photobucket from the beginning, we are now seeing a increasing loss of images and I fear as Coldel says that other picture hosting sites may follow PB's action. :shrug:

Take the A45 forum for example. It's platform is free and it allows limited advertising, but by using Ghostery I find that blocks the advertising so it still appears to those who don't want to see the ads as advert free.

Edited by Ebized
  • Like 1

Yup I have to upgrade or all my old pics from builds etc will be locked out if I don't pay.

strangely enough there is a lot of this type of thing around where you have to pay to get your data back they call it ransom-ware :blush:

So I shall be switching for now, however I assume as said above the other sites will follow suit at some point, I don't mind as such as they provide a service and can charge I just don't like the way they went about it, and it is far to expensive!

40 dollars a year maybe but 400!! I can buy and host my own website for less! :lol:

/rant

• Like 1

Why should PB offer unlimited free storage? They're a business after all, and with the proliferation of ad-blockers they don't get any revenue from that side either. It's been coming for years, and with people taking the p*ss and uploading hundreds or thousands of pics it was never a sustainable business model.

That said, their costs are simply ridiculous. You can get your own hosting for less.

all my pics shared here through Photobucket are not visible anymore unless I pay and upgrade ... :surrender:

All my pics via PB ARE stil visible and I haven't paid for the upgrade. :shrug:

I think it is just a matter of time before this PB rolls this out to all members there....

all my pics shared here through Photobucket are not visible anymore unless I pay and upgrade ... :surrender:

All my pics via PB ARE stil visible and I haven't paid for the upgrade. :shrug:

Maybe you have not reached the limit PB deem is free.... :stir::lol:

As Keyser says, what is annoying is you can't even access PB to copy the pics you have there, or edit them down to get back to any 'free' status that PB may offer. But with both my PB a/c and June's PB a/c now frozen by PB (no doubt picking up we use the same IP), sadly any pictures I hmay have wanted to post on the forum won't happen.

reply from one of the Imgur admins:

Imgur does not have an importation feature. The images would have to be downloaded from PhotoBucket and reuploaded to Imgur.

Please note that Imgur is not an image host or Content Delivery Network.

Edited by valy

reply from one of the Imgur admins:

Imgur does not have an importation feature. The images would have to be downloaded from PhotoBucket and reuploaded to Imgur.

Please note that Imgur is not an image host or Content Delivery Network.

^^^ This. If people spam Imgur in the same way then they'll soon do the exact same thing as PB and lock up shop.

Edited by Ekona

This really is bad news and a shame the forum took this route from the outset, always going to be a problem when you place stuff in the hands of a third party you have no control over.

Not the forum's fault, it's the fault of individual users.

Don't get me wrong, I use PB too so will have to start using my own hosting more, but I think it's unfair to lay any blame here. If people only uploaded the odd photo here or there it'd be fine, but people (not here in particular) have been spamming the crap out of it with hundreds of thousands of hi-res images.

Every forum I've been part of has done it this way though. You can copy image from facebook but it does make it harder to show you stealthy mods the wife does't know about. I can get on to my PB but not tried sharing anything yet.