Golf R

sipar69

Golf R is a cracking car but like a couple have said there's something a little lacking about it. 

Very quick, very capable but just a little lacking in character which is important to me, I'd have the Focus RS over it any day of the week. 

I've had a few runs with a mates stock Golf R and from a roll I will edge him slowly, from a dig I might as well be in a 1.2 Corsa  :lol: 

It's the tuning potential of these new hot hatches that's fascinating,  videos on youtube of Golf R's running 11 second quarters with a map only.  Makes big sports cars like the Z seem a little old in the tooth now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 July 2017 at 13:23, davey_83 said:

My good mate just ordered one thru work, lucky b1tch

image004_zpsu2gj6ufh_edit_1499171055905_

He would have been better off with one of the £299 a month lease deals. 

Taxman will hammer him. The way company cars are taxed in this country is a joke. 

On 7/16/2017 at 14:37, Kev said:

240i has one huge problem....the M2. The Interior lets the M2 downs for £50k though. 

I prefer the CLA AMG to the A45. 

You say this ........ but M2 is still an N55 engine, the 240i is a B58 - they have already been back to back on dynos and do similar power and torque but the potential for B58 tuning is greater. 
Chuck a diff, some lower arms and a set of coilovers on the 240i and youve got 95% of an M2 for 50% of the money ..........

Add to that BMW are offering crap GFV on M2 (I was told £22K after 3 yrs on a 55K car) and there is a facelift M2 due out imminently and I know where Id be looking. The M2 is sexual from the outside though, it has to be said. 

1 hour ago, docwra said:

You say this ........ but M2 is still an N55 engine, the 240i is a B58 - they have already been back to back on dynos and do similar power and torque but the potential for B58 tuning is greater. 
Chuck a diff, some lower arms and a set of coilovers on the 240i and youve got 95% of an M2 for 50% of the money ..........

Add to that BMW are offering crap GFV on M2 (I was told £22K after 3 yrs on a 55K car) and there is a facelift M2 due out imminently and I know where Id be looking. The M2 is sexual from the outside though, it has to be said. 

They are similar in a straight line but very different cars. 

240i is very refined by comparison and has the ZF box over the DCT. I'd be tempted by a manual anyway.  

Im surprised by the GFV as they are holding money well, and if the CS is anything like the M4 it will be silly expensive. 

I put a deposit down when the m2 was announced, but the lack of carbon roof, m wing mirrors and the seats shocked me. 

Im a huge m fan but BMW are taking the **** recently. Too many variants ( comp pack, CS, gts, dtm). The m2 lci is out already. They also sell them unfinished. You have to spend £5k on carbon bits to make them look good. 

The 135i and 1M were similar but different too, a remap, LSD and suspension changes all that, trust me ;)
And agree, the ZF is a great gearbox but surely youd go manual on an M*40i, the M2 I was looking at was a manual as well. 

Surprised doesnt cover it on the GFV too, I was looking at a registered M2 with a bit under 2K miles on it and a fairly basic spec list for £5K over list and being told there was at least a 12 month waitlist ........ and yet you still offer well under 50% as a GFV? I literally told the salesman he was having a laugh and to contact me when he got back to reality :lol:

Agree with the rest though, apparently bargains can be had on "normal" M4's as everyone is after the M4 comp pack, M2CS, M2 LCI etc., an Alfa QV isnt that much more money as well ..........  

I hated the 1M when it was released. I slated it. Fake m car etc.

Still not keen on the looks but they are  a beast of a car. More of a e92 m3 chassis/suspension with a 1 series shell. 

Probably the best m car ever. Have you seen what they are selling for? The only thing the 1M has in common with the 135i. Is that it has a reworked version of its engine. 

Weird thing about the m3/4. Is that the standard car is more savage than a cp or CS. Genuinely scary cars to drive. Never been scared of a car before, but I admit I was. 

I would go for a manual M2 too. If it wasn't for the cheap seats, steel roof and 240i wing mirrors. But the DCT is much better than the ZF. It's like a Porsche PDK. 

Worst thing about the new gen BMW M cars though is the build quality. Truly awful. 

Edited by Kev

16 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I'd rather walk than drive an M4. The M235i (and I suspect the 240i too but I've yet to drive that) was a superior car in every single way that mattered.

I admit they don't suit our roads at all. They need a flat surface to put their power down. In the hands of a talented driver they are amazing and they are really good value considering the power. You can buy a nice spec'd one for around £38k. 20% discounts and comp packs have destroyed residuals. 

CP is apparently better. They have toned it down at lower revs, so it doesn't ditch you in someone's front garden if you tickle the accelerator. 

I apologise for posting 2 M video clips on a 350z forum. 

Edited by Kev

2 hours ago, Kev said:

I hated the 1M when it was released. I slated it. Fake m car etc.

Still not keen on the looks but they are  a beast of a car. More of a e92 m3 chassis/suspension with a 1 series shell. 

Probably the best m car ever. Have you seen what they are selling for? The only thing the 1M has in common with the 135i. Is that it has a reworked version of its engine. 

Its actually E46 CSL suspension, E92 M3 LSD, E92 M3 wheels, bigger fan, additional water rad, additional oil cooler ......... and thats it, the engine was remapped but is still the same N54. The money is because it was rare, there were only 450 UK cars. 

As it happens I have a 135i with Meister GT1 coilovers, E92 M3 arms and struts, E92 M3 LSD, BMW Racing wheels, additional water rad, additional oil cooler .......... and a remap to 100hp and 200lb/ft more than the 1M.  And about 16K change in my pocket, despite there only being about 550 UK N54 135i coupes made ;)

• Like 1

My brother has just bought a 140i manual in alpine white. What a beast of a car. It's so smooth and refined to drive and puts the power down very well. 

It looks fairly normal exterior wise considering its performance, apart from the twin tail pipes. 

340 bhp is fast, no doubt. Plus the tunability is ample.