Golf R

sipar69

(stone wall with a narrow entrance that belongs to another house and which is Listed!) and some of the roads around us would be more suited to something a bit smaller than the Z.

Are you ready for some interesting numbers...... if size is the issue, you're looking at the wrong cars. I knew a while ago the Zed is not a fat car and compared it to a 1 series ages and was surprised there's nothing in it. Based on the cars at the beginning of the thread, here's the Length and Width dimensions of the cars noted. Your Zed is smaller than you think!

Golf R L 4,276 mm W 2,027 mm

350z L 4,314 mm W 1,816 mm

1 Series Saloon L 4,360 mm W 1,919 mm

Focus RS L 4,390 mm W 1,823 mm

• Like 1

Tis a good point Dan. And I keep seeing your shape knocking about up here, and it does look big and imposing in a good way.

I keep seeing Jag XKs (X150) on the roads and thinking to myself "I really like the look of those, more power than mine too, maybe... Nah, just look at how big they are! That's just silly!" and then I sit there and realise I'm in my car and that mine is no smaller in the slightest :lol:

• Like 1

I haven't got a 350 though. I've got the 370z MK1 Nismo with the bodykit that added six inches to the length of the standard 370.

By way of explanation, the main issue is a narrow entrance bordered by a wall that we don't own so can't widen. In addition to the width, the long bonnet + front splitter on the Z make turning in quite difficult when there are other cars parked in the road near the entrance. It's totally doable but it requires careful manouvering.

Just to be clear I'm not changing the car for this reason, I was planning a change anyway, but something with a shorter bonnet and a bit less width would be ideal. :)

Edited by sipar69

My only bugbear with the RS is I prefer the optional seats but can't lower them enough. I'm sure there is probably a fix by now with a revised base. The golf is a better car to sit in but visually looks bland.

Apparently the standard seats don't have the issue with being too high. I actually quite like them.

• Like 1

Fair cop..... totally understandable then. Although still the numbers posted (if you had a 350z) are still interesting ha ha :lol:

I agree. They make the Focus seem quite big!

I guess the difference is usable space, number of seats etc. Its easy for the Zed to feel smaller with it being a 2 seater and a boot that needs instructions to get 2 golf bags in.
  • Like 1

I had a freind who had a golf r ...he got chassed across town when some lads tried to steal it from. him they seem to be the little rascals car of choice at the moment along with a45s and rs3s etc

But then I suppose thats always an issue

It's frightened him the car went back

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

Fair cop..... totally understandable then. Although still the numbers posted (if you had a 350z) are still interesting ha ha :lol:

I agree. They make the Focus seem quite big!

I was more shocked with the 1 series when I first compared. The 1 series looks small, yet the 350 is quite literally smaller!

• Like 1

Anyone had a go in one of these?

Since getting our new place in Kent I've been exploring replacements for the Z, partly because I feel like a change, but also because the entrance to our new place (stone wall with a narrow entrance that belongs to another house and which is Listed!) and some of the roads around us would be more suited to something a bit smaller than the Z.

I've looked at various options for a car that would be more compact, but still a hoot to drive, including the Focus RS (great, but not sure I could live with the image), A45 AMG (great, but I want a manual). I'd ruled out the Golf on the basis that it wasn't much to look at, but with the right colour combo they're growing on me.

Grateful for any thoughts.... :)

I don't think the FRS shares the same image as it's predecessor, would not worry about that. Wonder if it will hold its value like the MK2 has, which seems to have held or even increased after the launch of the MK3.

Have always been a fan of Civic Type R's but they have completely wrecked the looks and no way could I drive one now, not at my age anyway.

No doubt the golf R is a very capable car but they are 10 a penny, see them so much it just doesn't feel special. Although its much slower I'd rather have a mk5 r32 purely for that engine sound.

Edited by shaunRS