Golf R

sipar69

Anyone had a go in one of these?

Since getting our new place in Kent I've been exploring replacements for the Z, partly because I feel like a change, but also because the entrance to our new place (stone wall with a narrow entrance that belongs to another house and which is Listed!) and some of the roads around us would be more suited to something a bit smaller than the Z.

I've looked at various options for a car that would be more compact, but still a hoot to drive, including the Focus RS (great, but not sure I could live with the image), A45 AMG (great, but I want a manual). I'd ruled out the Golf on the basis that it wasn't much to look at, but with the right colour combo they're growing on me.

Grateful for any thoughts.... :)

Edited by sipar69

Great cars. And the 1 year deals at £299 per month are very tempting.

Ridiculously quick on uk roads but a bit sterile and unexciting for some.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

Can be made immensely fast in a straight line, like 11 second 1/4 fast, DSG is amazing and its a practical 5 seater too.

However Ive been told they are very uninspiring round the corners, Haldex innit. :yuck:

FRS is a great car IMO, but .........

M140i

you know it makes sense.

• Like 1

Still like the jag. :headhurt:

Had a go in the Golf R, very quick in straight line, and looks quite unassuming too, a bit of a sleeper. And the gear change is ridiculously fast on those DSG boxes.

Also you don't get judged as a Golf driver...whereas in a BMW or Audi...

• Like 1

So is the general consensus that the Focus isn't too teenage backwards baseball cap in the looks department? It does come in that absolutely gorgeous colour. :)

Not at all. Def in blue, def with the Recaros, def with a remap and louder exhaust :D

• Like 1

Yep, mate has a golf R, driven it plenty. would love one as a daily, plenty fast enough and the grip is unreal! handles brilliantly, however, ive pick the FRS (having owned both the mk1 and mk2 FRS) i think itll be much more exciting to drive even though it may not be as quick. Im not particually keen on the looks of the mk3 FRS, but im also very tempted by one as i think itll be amazing to drive.

• Like 1

I do like a car that at a stands out from the crowd. I guess the FRS would achieve that more than the Golf.

I certainly think the Focus stands out more than the golf, i also think itll be much more fun to drive. the golf is a very fast capable car, but i get the feeling when drivign my mates it was made by lots of smart people with no sense of humour, where as i think the RS will just be a hoot to drive even without the "drift" mode.

• Like 1

I do like a car that at a stands out from the crowd. I guess the FRS would achieve that more than the Golf.

Would depend how you stand out....... Golf will not do that, unless you go a bit silly.

Price bracket and purpose?

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

BMW + pink metallic wrap = job done :lol:

I know Im a bimmer fan but can someone explain to me how a Golf stands out more than 2 series BMW though? Ive been asked to take a kid to a prom in my E82 tomorrow, while I could see it in an FRS I doubt youd ever get that in a Golf would you?

• Like 4

BMW + pink metallic wrap = job done :lol:

I know Im a bimmer fan but can someone explain to me how a Golf stands out more than 2 series BMW though? Ive been asked to take a kid to a prom in my E82 tomorrow, while I could see it in an FRS I doubt youd ever get that in a Golf would you?

Easy, BMW is RWD...... so its just a matter of driving it properly :D

• Like 2