Brake fluid questions...

Rob350

Any help or wise words would be appreciated guys?..

I'm after changing my brake fluid, thinking something that has a higher boiling point to standard nissan dot 3 because I got big brake fade after 6 laps of Silverstone japfest (I was on standard brake pads) I have just upgraded to ebc yellowstuff so hoping that will help abit.

I do a couple trackdays and a nurburgring trip a year and some hard street driving.

iv been reading up on fluids... nissan says dot 3, I found a massive write up from a "brake fluid expert" and he stated try to stick to the same reccomended dot for the car because that's what all the seals/components have been tested with and the slightly different chemicals in other dots may corrode quicker. He also said the higher boiling point fluids need changing and bleeding more often as they absorb water easier.

I was thinking of getting dot 4 motul RBF 600 because its reccomend on here, but then I don't want to change it every 6months/year because of water absorption.

I tend to do 2 or 3 hard laps, then 1 or 2 cooldown laps, I do this sequence 3 times then I come off for 30mins

Again any wise words would be appreciated

Cheers

Rob,

You will be fine with the Motul RBF 600 or 660 and providing you do not boil the fluid then normal fluid changes are all that is required. providing you are not a weekend track warrior.

I personally use Castrol React SRF Racing Brake Fluid.

DOT 3 and 4 are the same save for the higher heat tolerance/boiling point, they are both hydroscope and will adsorb water readily, if you want a higher still boiling point go for DOT 5, these are all glycol based and will be fine with the synthetic rubber brake components,

You can even flush and use silicone fluid, its just the other way around that you can get problems as the rubber intended for silicone fluid can be attacked by glycol based fluids.