Kenwood DMX 7017DABS - Opinions

Jester

Hi all,

Going to drop kick that useless Bose H/U into touch and am looking at this: http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/dmx7017dabs/

Managed to read through all the great posts on here and have all the bits I need to install. Just wondering if anyone has this head unit installed at all and can share their thoughts having lived with it?

I have the standard Nav in the car too (which I will keep) but may replace the screen as it has some crazing issues...

Any gen on the above much appreciated.

Cheers

Jes

I don't have one, but here's an honest opinion...

Looks nice, but I can't see anything regarding the sound quality, equaliser settings, time correction etc etc...

In short, looks like a head unit aimed at people who want the link to their phone to be easy. Sound quality is lower down the list. Should still be good though!

Also before swapping the bose deck out research 'busters mod', as using the wiring adapter for the bose will drop the signal going to the amps from 12v to a lower voltage (whatever volts the head units pre outs are)

Thanks Jords.

I popped along to Halfrauds on Monday, I did manage to find a plethora of sounds settings (equaliser etc) on there... thanks for the heads up on sound quality though but for apple car play options seems a little limited! The pioneer I saw doesn't have DAB which is a must.

I will rip all the Bose out at some point and go with a 4 channel Focal amp, speaker and sub setup (all to be hidden under the current plastics which may be fun!) Before I do that it will be the head unit only for a while as I try and trickle mods in without the missus noticing ;-) - so will run through busters mod so i don't hit the voltage issues.

The tech moves so quickly, but this should make a real difference. The only other concern is whether or not I need to add another microphone as I have a cabriolet...

Oh if you've had a play with one and it seems to be all there then good stuff. Kenwood as a general rule aren't bad stuff at all.

Honestly though, be warned about just plugging the bose amps into the new stereos pre outs on the back. It drops the signal to the bose amps from 12v to 3v or so and sounds crap and messes up the volume (very quiet).

I wish I did the wiring mod, now I just can't be bothered sorting it

Honestly though, be warned about just plugging the bose amps into the new stereos pre outs on the back. It drops the signal to the bose amps from 12v to 3v or so and sounds crap and messes up the volume (very quiet).

I wish I did the wiring mod, now I just can't be bothered sorting it

Cheers Jords, duly noted!

• 4 years later...

I am attempting to reinstall this exact kenwood, but struggling to fix an issue of a click (noise through speakers) everytime I press the brake pedal - I assume a grounding issue, but I have grounded the black cable to the metal bracaket behind dash. Speakers connected with the pre out (4v) using a celsius adapter.  I know pre out reduces volume a bit, but volume is not the problem for me. Any one got any ideas as pulling my hair out!

51 minutes ago, Lynchyy said:

And how much do Halfords have these in for? Just looked on website, but couldnt see them.

ordered online from ebay about 2 years ago! there are kits that include the adapter harness and fascia. However, waste of money if the damn thing has interference every time you press the brake pedal. I am jsut about to put the original one back in as giving up.