Auto-box gear change speed

Toon Chris

I appreciate that thsi is a subjective question best answered by a test drive, but can anyone tell me what the gear-change speed is like on an auto box?

I'm wary of an auto-box as i love a manual. I've a flappy-paddle box on my current car and just can't get on with them the same as I can a manual; a manual seems to give me so much more control (in my head I suppose). The thing is, my current car is fast but not a sports car and the gear changes are not supposed to be super-quick, which means it's a killjoy on a spirited drive.

I'm interested in a 370Z purchase but there are not that many around and so many autos I think I need to widen my search to include them, but I don't want a slow gear change.

Edited by Toon Chris

Stock gearbox in the vid . They are improved with a remap I know Jez at Horsham can tweak a few things . They arent bad as autos go and maybe a tad faster in manual mode but that could be all in my mind , downshifts are fast and crisp with rev matching . However they are no DSG or even up there with the latest ZF boxes but they are better than most

Not a bad video here either

but its all down to personal preference

Older autos are bad if youve driven a PDK, DCT or newer ZF.

My daily is a 2017 xc60 D5. I got it because of the high spec and big discount at the time. I wanted an auto initially, but had to order a manual as I found the auto unbearably slow and sluggish. The dealer looked offended when I said it was dog ****.

Only way to know is a test drive as mentioned above.

I feel that the box changes quicker the quicker you drive. In full auto it feels a slow change when just pottering around.

When driving in a more spirited fashion I usually put it in manual mode and find the change is quick when giving it the beans. In manual mode you can either use the paddles or the gear lever to change gear, I probably use the lever more than I do the paddles.

Rev matching on the downshift is done automatically and is superb, especially with a nice aftermarket exhaust.

If you take one for a test drive make sure you try different driving conditions. If you can only potter around and leave it in full auto you will be disappointed - it is a different beast when on the charge.

Mine is a GT Edition auto - very Jeckyll and Hyde. Smooth, quiet and comfy in slow traffic but a bit of an animal when you spot the chance.

• Like 1