Failed MOT with Motordyne XYZ High Flow Cat

SteveW

Anyone else ever have this issue with the Motordyne HFC?

Tried everything at the test place, couldn't get the Carbon Monoxide below 0.6% the limit is 0.2% for fast idle test.

I've only had the HFC on ten months so now got to put the standard cats back for the test this time. Ball ache.

Just wondering if this is a normal with the Motordyne HFC?

A mate runs Berks HFCs and his goes through everytime. Maybe time to have the UpRev tweaked?

Edited by SteveW

I had the same, it managed 1 MOT with flying colours, next year was just over and the final year before I went full TDX it failed completely. They aren't very good at making high flow cats if you ask me.

Single cat compared with two is never going to be as good, better to either run normal cats or decats & change for MOT I reckon.

Personally I'd do the latter, even if the MOT place charges you £50 for the privilege. :)

Yeah I think that's gonna be the best bet, swap each year.

Just annoying when you pay so much for an HFC that isn't really up to the job.

The cat does the job, it's a high flow cat. No manufacture guarantees you will pass the emission regulations in all countries in the world with most saying that they are for off road use.

You can try to find a friendly MOT tester like everyone else does, even with test pipes :)

Surprising it failed so soon. I can recommend Berk HFCs for no hassle, and if you don't fancy swapping. Fitment is good and I've had mine pass at least 6 MOTs. I'm hoping to get it past the next one in August.

• Like 1

Yeah I think that's gonna be the best bet, swap each year.

Just annoying when you pay so much for an HFC that isn't really up to the job.

The cat does the job, it's a high flow cat. No manufacture guarantees you will pass the emission regulations in all countries in the world with most saying that they are for off road use.

You can try to find a friendly MOT tester like everyone else does, even with test pipes :)

Yes of course, however, it kind of defeats the point of even making them. If they won't pass an emissions test in a lot of cases and you need a friendly mot tester then you may as well just go full decat and be done with it.

I won't bother with HFC's in future and just go full decat, lesson learnt.

Either it wasn't heated up or if you take them off and check the core metal substrates as they ****ed up. 200 cell needs to be heated up i reckon😩and inky my just to borderline pass, any any deterioration of the core it

it won't be passed unless you're able to repair buy a replacement . I had fast Intentions HFC 300cell which was which easier to pass emissions due to its higher cell count. And the previous owner said for years it passed every time. When I inspected the core, I was surprised when it appeared fully function and no signs of wear at all , like I could do another 5 years drivingand MOTs. now have have motordyne ART decats installed for increased bhp and it sounds better. It can't possibly pass emissions now but it did not turn the EML on or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nub

It was heated up, massively. So hot in fact that you could feel the heat through the transmission tunnel trim inside the car I.e. It felt hot to touch. Ran car at high idle for about 15 minutes then took out for a blast and straight back n the tester. Still failed. Will be checking substrate when swap oe cats over.

My Kinetix cats went straight through, but the rest of my system is standard. What is the rest of yours like? Did they get different results by changing tail pipe to probe? Strangely the exit nearer the rest of the system (where gases go into the back box) ran cleaner that the other.

If your system is true dual front to back, they should have done both pipes and divided it by 2. Doesn't normally make a difference but can help. Rather than change the cats, which are a ball ache, we fitted a standard system for a customer but left his cats and it was much cleaner and easier access than cats. We put his old system back on after too.

So standard cats went on today and it's passed.

Found a friendly tester for next year so the HFC will be going back on soon.

I don't mind paying a bit more labour to swap over stock cats and back again. I can ask how many hours they charged for the stock cat swapping alone ?

Although HFCS don't take away loads of bhp buy in my experience with typeRs and high revving K20s, even a single 200cell cat would lose a significant amount of power and torque, depending on the engine output. Our cars two cats, so I expected my twin ART decats to provide decent gains over any pair of 200cell HFCs. Especially you look inside at how dense the cells are within the core. I hope my suspicions are correct any way 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Motordyne Art Pipes with xyz HFC Y pipe, mine passed but only just, it was borderline...and you cant call these sh/t cats.

Im not expecting mine to pass next time around. At the end of the day most people who go this route have that niggly feeling that theyre gonna fail an mot, you just have to be prepared to change them over for stock before the tester has his or her wicked way...or as mentioned, find a friendly mot tester.