Just in case you think its too hot here!

JetSet

Wow, that's nuts. Occasionally it reaches 45 here, a couple of times in my 15 years, most summers we'll get a day or 2 at 40. The funny thing is, unlike Arizona it frequently hits zero degrees in winter! It once snowed three feet outside my house in the suburbs of Athens

Edited by Aashenfox

@Stu sexy beast :lol:

Just speaking to a colleague who lives south of LA and it's hot there at the minute but he was saying he's been in Las Vegas 115F and it's unbearable, they even use pool chillers!

• Like 1

Wow, that's nuts. Occasionally it reaches 45 here, a couple of times in my 15 years, most summers we'll get a day or 2 at 40. The funny thing is, unlike Arizona it frequently hits zero degrees in winter! It once snowed three feet outside my house in the suburbs of Athens

Record low in Phoenix is -9 and average night temperatures in January are only 2.3 degrees, but they can go for several years without a frost. However snow is very rare, only 8 measurable falls in 150 years. Other parts of Arizona get heavy snow, like The Grand Canyon where the North Rim Road is closed until mid May :surrender:

Pete

@Stu sexy beast :lol:

Just speaking to a colleague who lives south of LA and it's hot there at the minute but he was saying he's been in Las Vegas 115F and it's unbearable, they even use pool chillers!

I was in Vegas on Independence day 2007 and it was 115 degrees that day, just 2 degrees short of the all time Vegas record. I'm O.K with big heat but this really was my limit, I must have drunk about 8 bottles of water walking up and down the strip. The thing is though that it'll be above 100 degrees for 2 or 3 months, just unbearable. What amazed me though was that there were vendors polishing shoes out on the street and that the hotel we stayed at (The Stratosfear) had parking attendants dressed in full uniform outside the lobby :scare:

Pete

• Like 1

We had a day several years ago in Sharm El Sheikh when it hit a ridiculous 55c. We were lucky to be in the Cleopatra water park at the time, the heat from the floor came through the flip flops.

Word to the wise do not go in July ;)

The weird thing is, 28 in the UK is worse than 40's and 50's in Egypt, too humid over here so you just sweat and are stuck in the office....

The weird thing is, 28 in the UK is worse than 40's and 50's in Egypt, too humid over here so you just sweat and are stuck in the office....

This ^^ don't get me wrong 120F is fecking hot, but as its a dry heat it won't feel as bad as it would in the UK.

Last time I went to Singapore its was 105F with 100% humidity . . . that was the worst I have ever experienced :scare:

• Like 2

This ^^ don't get me wrong 120F is fecking hot, but as its a dry heat it won't feel as bad as it would in the UK.

Last time I went to Singapore its was 105F with 100% humidity . . . that was the worst I have ever experienced :scare:

Same in Hong Kong. Although I can live with out there, maybe it's because I don't go to work etc. Being I'm a metal roofed garage having to deal with people is no fun. Plus everytime the phone ringsits a safe bet someone wants an ac regas lol

Yeah SG was mental for me too, had to wear a suit during the week even though I spent most of my time in a data centre making sure my kit had been installed to the design.

On days off they were spent dashing between AC establishments, walk out of one and another shower was required. Walking through soup is the best way to describe it.

Spent some time in HK for the same trip and that wasn't as bad and I actually felt cold a few of the days.

Its the humidity here thats the killer. It was 90'F here today but the humidity must be up around 85% surrounded by all this forestry.

We have a chiller unit in the workshop, and all its doing is using its energy to extract buckets & buckets of water and hardly bringing the temp down at all! :sweat:

• Like 1

Back in 1996 I visited a friend who had retired to Boulder City which is 15 miles or so from Vegas. When I asked them how they coped with the heat they told me that they'd never adapted to it (they were from Galveston, Texas originally) and in the summer months their whole life had to be planned out to avoid the heat. For me, it wasn't so much the heat it was the racket that the air conditioning made in the motels I stayed in that kept me awake at night. I've never stayed in a private house in The States so I don't know how noisy the A/C units are compared to the massive units that many motels have but I reckon that being an A/C engineer would get you a good living over there :) . I've been in Death Valley when its pushing 120 and quite frankly it was a major effort to walk from the car to the visitor centre and I was pretty fit back then.

Pete

I thought year low temperature was about 9C, oh, okay, comparable winters then, maybe ours is just a touch colder, hardly something to shout about loool.

Greece sometimes gets plunges of really cold air pushing in from Central Europe, Southern Arizona is protected from cold plunges by The Rocky Mountains. Northern Arizona is on a high plateau from 6,000 to 9,000 feet and has a totally different climate to the Southern deserts.

Pete

I don't mind heat in dry conditions but the humidity we get here living on an island can be unbearable at times.

Humidity sucks. I spent a couple of weeks in the Amazon, it was so humid you couldn't get dressed fast enough after a shower to know what dry clothes felt like. Then when I ran out of clean clothes, I'd wash them in the shower, this amount of exertion caused me to start sweating, which was crazy because the showers only supplied cold water!!!

• Like 1

Back in 1996 I visited a friend who had retired to Boulder City which is 15 miles or so from Vegas. When I asked them how they coped with the heat they told me that they'd never adapted to it (they were from Galveston, Texas originally) and in the summer months their whole life had to be planned out to avoid the heat. For me, it wasn't so much the heat it was the racket that the air conditioning made in the motels I stayed in that kept me awake at night. I've never stayed in a private house in The States so I don't know how noisy the A/C units are compared to the massive units that many motels have but I reckon that being an A/C engineer would get you a good living over there :) . I've been in Death Valley when its pushing 120 and quite frankly it was a major effort to walk from the car to the visitor centre and I was pretty fit back then.

Pete

We have a cool air system in our house with a condenser outside, the only time I hear the condenser is when standing next to it, and even then its not that loud.

Its supposed to be mid 30'sC here this weekend . . so I will be sat indoors in the cool :p

:lol:

Totally down to humidity. I went from Dubai to Vegas last year - both were around 40 degrees but Dubai was 70% humidity, Vegas was about 10%.

Dubai you couldnt spend more than 30 seconds outside air con before sweating, in Vegas I didnt even feel hot.

Was talking to a guy about this over the weekend and he said it reminded him of a guy from Moscow who was complaining about our Winters. He said "but you get down to -20 or more over there" to which the Russian replied "being cold in a dry -40 is positively pleasant compared to being cold AND wet for 3 entire months" :lol:

• Like 1

Was talking to a guy about this over the weekend and he said it reminded him of a guy from Moscow who was complaining about our Winters. He said "but you get down to -20 or more over there" to which the Russian replied "being cold in a dry -40 is positively pleasant compared to being cold AND wet for 3 entire months" :lol:

I once watched a program about a small town in Russia that had no roads in or out and only existed to service the Trans Siberian Railway, In the winter it was so cold that the school had sleeping facilities for the kids, which were enabled at -45, the temperature at which your tear ducts freeze up :scare: and it wasn't that unusual for people to freeze to death in a standing up position. Moscow of course doesn't get down to -40 very often but their winters can be 6 months long, kinda like parts of Canada. Also, according to Wikipedia, the average humidity in Moscow in winter is very similar to London, around 85% but yes, -20 on a bright sunny calm day would feel a lot more pleasant than 3 degrees in a howling gale when its raining cats and dogs :lol: . I used to work with a guy from NZ and he said the thing he didn't like about the British weather was the number of windy days, I guess we are just so used to it that we don't notice.

Pete