Brakes / Standard vs aftermarket

sisson18

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

Complete and utter bobbins.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_202_-cma81-cmo539-ct541/Porsche/997-MKII--911--2009--/997-MKII--911--Carrera-S-2009--/Brake-Disc-Standard/

Fronts on a 997.2 C2S are £168.18 per corner for the disc, assuming you want the nice shiny Porsche ones. Rears are £151.83. OEM pads are £213 per axle. Hardly £1K per corner! Not forgetting that, much like Nissan, you'd never buy OEM when you can get an identical pad (as in made on the exact same line and just not stamped with the Porsche part number) for half the cost. My 911 was much cheaper on consumables than my 350Z was, barring oil at a service simply because it needed twice as much :lol:

Also, they don't crack often at all. What does happen is that the drilled holes become full of brake dust, and you need to drill them out, but then that happens with every single drilled disc in the world ever.

Yeh, I was going on anecdotes which most car enthusiasts have heard, if it's an urban legend, so be it, I assumed it was valid I've heard it so often. Anyway,  as previous, picking up on a single debatable point, does not invalidate what I was saying. Horses for courses, those advocating spending 700 quid on a set of road discs are doing nobody except the manufacturers a favour.

Edited by Aashenfox

By the way...

http://www.planet-9.com/911-complaints/95429-beware-premature-failure-porsche-pccb-ceramic-brakes.html

I'd say this supports my assertion that much more expensive discs (10 GRAND a set) also crack, and that cost is not an indicator of quality or longevity.

Edited by Aashenfox

That's a ceramic disc, which as you know is a completely different kettle of fish. It's like comparing a 4 stroke to a rotary: Both engines, both provide power, but are very different animals. The original PCCBs weren't great, true, but it was a tiny percentage. Ultimately anything can fail, regardless of cost, but I'm not sure that helps your point at all.

And the trouble with being wrong about one thing which you speak definitively, is that is then weakens your credibility.

• Like 1

I think you're leading down the "price doesn't guarantee quality" line now - and I don't think anyone has actually claimed there's a correlation there.

I might go and make some solid discs of metal and I'll sell you a full set for £50. Would you buy them?

• Like 1

On 30/06/2017 at 4:34 PM, Aashenfox said:

:lol:

Thanks for being so condescending, that was really nice of you. :)

Laughing at someone's perfectly reasonable comment and then tears in the very next line about condescension.

Need a hug hun?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just been reading through this thread, and I am planning on taking my 350 on the track for the first time however I won't be doing it on standard discs or pads as I find the brakes terrible and will fade within two laps,

I'm looking at upgrading to the ferodo DS1.11 pads front and rear, however undecided with discs.

Quite interested in these M-Tec discs and someone mentioned a forum discount which would sway my opinion ;) how would I go about this discount as i cant find it on the forum ...

13 minutes ago, alistair said:

Just been reading through this thread, and I am planning on taking my 350 on the track for the first time however I won't be doing it on standard discs or pads as I find the brakes terrible and will fade within two laps,

I'm looking at upgrading to the ferodo DS1.11 pads front and rear, however undecided with discs.

Quite interested in these M-Tec discs and someone mentioned a forum discount which would sway my opinion ;) how would I go about this discount as i cant find it on the forum ...

I can supply the DS1.11 pads for a good price, have you considered the DBA T2 or T3 discs?

Just now, Ewen@Clark Motorsport said:

I can supply the DS1.11 pads for a good price, have you considered the DBA T2 or T3 discs?

could you send me a message with a price for the pads please (bit new to the forum and not really got my head round it),

i have looked at the discs quite a pricey bit of kit for the T3's 

I do understand that if i want quality then i need to fork out the cash, but would be interested in the difference between the DBA's and the Mtech